bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: But where are Almond+ Updates ?  (Read 7454 times)

Offline Talard

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
But where are Almond+ Updates ?
« on: September 19, 2017, 09:52:32 am »
Com on guys, where are the Almond+ updates ?

The last one has been pushed in January 2017. Are you just stoping to Update since the almond 3 has been lunched.
Are we obsolet now ?

I feel angry cause it's like you forgot that you could mouve on with new product thanks to almond+ project (as part at least).
More over, all promised fonctionnality aren't implemented yet like USB tentering and the list of compatible Z-Wave device is still short.

Feel like this model is dead and won't be supported anymore...

Offline onyx

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: But where are Almond+ Updates ?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 11:24:31 am »
If money is a problem to do the update just charge 10$ per update, no problem to spend some money to get improvements....If you do plan to make an update, if you could check the FIBARO parameter programming that would be nice, it doesn't work.

Offline Shazster

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 07:07:39 pm »
I don't think this is a money issue. I think this is a "we've hit the wall with what we can do with this chipset that we perhaps shouldn't have used" issue.

Offline andersos

• Backer
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2017, 10:04:15 am »
So perhaps it's time for Almond++  :)
New chipset and Z-Wave Plus.

Offline tt4me

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 01:21:01 pm »
So perhaps it's time for Almond++  :)
New chipset and Z-Wave Plus.

As much as I liked the promise of A+, I sure as bunny wouldn't spend another dime on their products.  I, long ago, stopped recommending them.

Just not worth it.

Offline andersos

• Backer
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 04:56:28 pm »
I never had a problem with the Almond+. Newer hardware would solve the problems some have had with the Almond+.
And regarding where the next update is - every router I had previously stopped getting updates after maybe 2 - 3 years.
If there is no problems that can be solved with an updated firmware or some new feature has been implemented, they just wont release
an update.

Offline k1m

• Backer
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2017, 07:08:51 pm »
As much as I liked the promise of A+, I sure as bunny wouldn't spend another dime on their products.  I, long ago, stopped recommending them.

Just not worth it.

I feel the same way, I am now running Ubiquiti networking products and a Smartthings Hub. I am profoundly disappointed by Securifi and their just dropping a product many of us help get off the ground and laid the groundwork for future products without even the courtesy of saying "We can't do anymore with this hardware". That is unforgivable. I recommend Ubiquiti and Smartthings whole heartedly to everyone looking for new hardware to my family, friends and coworkers. Almond+ and Securifi are dead.

Offline Ab

• Backer
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 04:29:55 pm »
As much as I wish they would continue support by adding new devices - do you think a 2+ year old phone hardware will support all the new features being released with the same efficiency & performance you expect say of a S8 vs a S4/S5. I think that's the conundrum here, one has to draw the line somewhere and move on or start digging your own grave (being this was a startup).

My A+ for the most part functions well, the support for additional zee wave/zigbee devices has been added (at least that I know of or requested). The UI (phone app) has also been improved and functionality added. Sure I want more ... :P

Offline lorek123

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2017, 10:41:16 am »
When i bought this device main thing was that it was based on Openwrt project. I had hope that it will use newest code base from it, so all of new features that needs are the must (linux software updates) for me will be there. At this moment we have router advertised as secure, with outdated kernel and services. I wanted to try build image based on GPL code and SDK, but SDK i basically not available. How can i trust with security of my home when they can't provide secure software to their devices? 

Offline Ch0rtle

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2017, 02:00:03 pm »
Add me to the list of the upset.  This feature was promised at launch and it's a pretty big feature-- any router worth its salt nowadays will have a VPN feature.  With more popular products, this would be the making of a class action suit. 

I'm guessing they don't have much money to rub together-- their blog hasn't been updated since last year.  They appear to be putting all their eggs into the "Almond Guard" basket (no VPN feature listed).  And they mention a coupon for existing customers to move on to their new hardware... in the vein of the "Fool me once, shame on you... Fool me twice... well, how many times can we take a sucker's money?"  It does sound like it might be time to move on.

Offline tt4me

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2017, 10:40:12 pm »
My new Ubiquiti UAP-AC-Pro is working fantastic thus far. Along with my z-wave stick with Home Assistant I'm in a much better place now.

I was tired of waiting.

Will never again support or recommend. Made a fool of me more than once.

Offline Talard

• Backer
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2017, 12:35:56 pm »
Thanl you all for sharing your opignon !

I keep an eye to the forum but my almond+ is off for ever I think and I will not recomended those product anymore either.

For wi-fi i take a TP-Link AP500 and for home automation I do some research for a year now and I select a Jeedom controller installed on a virtual machine hosted on my Synology NAS. I put a Z-wave+ USB controller and I recetly added an RF-Link controller to control Somfy shutters.
It work like a charme but it need more config. I even have a Monthly plan backup (every day for the firt week, every week and last month backup) witch is a geat +

Edit : Ahah and did you se R91 Almond+ firmware ?  It's in order to resolve the KRACK WPA 2 issue.
@tt4me, Thanks I discover Ubiquiti product. It look great ! I try TP-link EAP320 but Ubiquiti looks better !
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 12:45:30 pm by Talard »

Offline Halaster

• Backer
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2017, 12:34:15 am »
It has reached the point where I am giving up also on this router.

I have just had far too many issues that I can never really sort through. From internet an wireless just dropping and requiring router restarts almost daily to all sorts of other odd problems spread out cross all the different features in the router.

The torrent feature build into the routers OpenWRT will actually result in the router locking up completely on me after 10 to 20 minutes. Actually making changes to things like mount points using the web interface can completely break features. When I check the config files directly using ssh I can see that they are corrupted or not being written correctly many times. Instead of just the data you would expect to be present, there is sometimes just additional random characters, which cause the matching services to completely fail to start. When I set the white list for torrent for example, one the save went through it changed to "127.0.0.1, 10.10.*.*,co" The co the end completely broke the feature, and if I did not know where to look in the terminal there would have been no way for me to even know what was going on.

Right now I have started to use samba, and it has caused the router to get even worse. I have a 4TB drive plugged into it and it works for a day or so, and then random when writing to it the entire network drops everyone, and the samba locks up. If you run a "df -m" directly on the router it will completely fail to complete, never able to actually poll the hard drive plugged into it, and if you try to reboot it it will also fail stalling forever. Which requires me to physically unplug and plug the router back in.

There are just so many other things I cant think of at the moment, but actually making use of the features of this router is NEVER just enable and go. Its always, enable, test, ssh in and check that things actually set right, compare against web UI again, check almond UI as well as OpenWRT UI, restart services, reboot router, fix problems in config file if present, reset router completely to default, setup again exact same way, check if it works this time, okay? Good? Other problems back now? Its just unfortunate. :(

I am going to just grab a TM-AC1900 from Amazon for $59 and convert it to a AC68U and be done with this.

Edit: Went ahead and did exactly what I said. Grabbed the AC1900 and spent around 30 minutes converting it to an AC68U. All my problems being encountered with the Almond+ vanished. Samba worked perfectly out of the box with the exact same hard drive, VPN worked, as does the routers built in torrent download manager.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 12:49:02 am by Halaster »

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 17 queries.