bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Almond + vs Almond 3S  (Read 5225 times)

Offline atrueresistance

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Almond + vs Almond 3S
« on: November 07, 2017, 04:31:20 pm »
What is the difference in hardware between the Almond+ and Almond 3S prototype?

Offline mparadis

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Almond + vs Almond 3S
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 01:07:07 pm »
There are several but largely note that the Almond+ has been out for many years and is receiving minimal support at this time as it appears to be reach end of its service life.

The Almond 3S only supports Z Wave through a dongle. Almond 3S supports mesh networking, has a built in battery and 4g modem (requires service).

Offline fillibar

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Almond + vs Almond 3S
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 03:34:18 pm »
The Almond 3s is more closely like the Almond 3. I think there are some comparisons between that and the Almond+ floating around in the forum.

The two biggest IMO:
1) Mesh networking capability. Not something most people worried about previously. But with the proliferation of devices that need a wifi signal around a house, dead spots and underused areas (like basements) now need a connection.
2) The Z-Wave dongle. Means that as Z-Wave progresses, you can put in a new dongle to benefit. I now have a Z-Wave Plus dongle in my Almond 3 (which I would use with an Almond 3S). The Almond+ does not have Plus, it was not available yet. It also makes it possible to have the same Almond 3 shipped to many countries. Just plug in the country-appropriate dongle. More a benefit for Securifi than me personally. But it also means customers globally can just get ANY Almond 3 (or 3S when it arrives) and plug in the dongle they need rather than worrying about whether there will be a 3S for their market (like there was with the Almond+ during the Kickstarter, people wondered if it would be available for X region).
Almond 3 mesh handling the home.

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 18 queries.