bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Configuration question  (Read 3232 times)

Offline Richel

• Beta Testers
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Configuration question
« on: November 15, 2017, 09:11:54 am »
I have Comcast for my cable, internet, and phone services. Recently, I have been having intermittent losses of both internet and phone. Tech support at Comcast has told me that it could be my external WiFi router (Almond+). This is a relatively new problem and my Almond+ has been quite stable and in place for years. Nonetheless, the technician took the modem in my house off bridge mode as an experiment to see if I continue to have the intermittent loss of internet and phone services. The Almond+ is still connected and everything inside my house connected to the Almond+ works fine. However, I cannot access anything outside of my local network. I have a large number of devices (e.g., IP cameras) that I would like to access when I am not at home. Do I need to switch everything over to the Comcast modem and set up the port forwarding for each on the Comcast modem or is there an easier way?
Thanks.
Elliott

Offline mparadis

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Configuration question
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 12:21:22 pm »
It depends. Is the Almond+ still set up as a router or strictly as a range extender/access point now? If still a router AND all the devices have static IP's connected only to the Almond+ then you can set up the Comcast gateway to forward all external traffic to the Almond+. If not you can setup so only certain traffic is forwarded to the Almond+ (if you have some on each network). If the Almond+ is a range extender / access point OR the devices are all connected to the Comcast gateway (or for any device that is connected to the Comcast gateway) you must set up port forwarding in the Comcast gateway.

Offline mparadis

• Backer
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 12:24:08 pm »

Offline Richel

• Beta Testers
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 01:01:08 pm »
Thanks!

Offline Richel

• Beta Testers
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 07:25:36 pm »
It depends. Is the Almond+ still set up as a router or strictly as a range extender/access point now? If still a router AND all the devices have static IP's connected only to the Almond+ then you can set up the Comcast gateway to forward all external traffic to the Almond+. ....

@mparadis:
It is the case with my setup that the Almond+ is still in router mode and all devices have static IP's connected only to the Almond+. According to the link on your other reply, in order to forward all external traffic to the Almond+ from the Comcast modem, do I set up the Comcast modem as DMZ-enabled? By the way, in the current configuration (unbridged mode), my internet and phone services have been stable (i.e., no disconnects). Thanks, again. Elliott

Offline mparadis

• Backer
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 08:47:02 pm »
DMZ mode should work. Try it Out, if there are issues I would do it manually so that each thing isn’t working. Your Almond+ will have an “external” IP address that is actually assigned by the Comcast gateway and will look like any other internal IP issued by the Comcast Gateway. You want to forward everything to that and make sure the Almond+ IP is assigned statically.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 17 queries.

bottleneck