bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Poor wifi connection and getting worse  (Read 3290 times)

Offline Evan

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Poor wifi connection and getting worse
« on: November 26, 2017, 04:46:47 pm »
I can't believe I find myself starting a generic "poor wifi" topic, but I feel like I'm running out of options, so I'd love to pick the brains of those that have experience with Almond 3.

My wife and I live in a 1,150 ft² home with two wired Almond 3s in a mesh network. We have Verizon Fios internet (fiber the entire way) -- paying for 100 Mbps up and down, which we easily get when plugged directly into Verizon's equipment. Once the connection is passed to our Almond 3s, however, we get nowhere near that, and it seems to be getting worse. I measured barely 1 Mbps on my phone last night.

I've attached a layout of our home, with the locations of our two Almond 3s. It seems like it's pretty standard, and I'm not sure there is much room for improving the locations of our routers. (We're in a three-unit condo, with access to the attic space above, so one of our Almond 3s is on that floor, as noted.)

Our master bedroom has become a wifi dead zone, even though it's 20 ft from the primary Almond 3. We have an outdoor Nest Cam just outside the bedroom at the "bottom" of the floor plan that frequently has connection issues. Our phones often struggle in the main living space, right near our primary Almond 3.

The most bizarre situation is that we have a Roku Streaming Stick plugged into our TV, which is literally (I don't use that word lightly) 1 ft from our primary Almond 3, and it has connection issues -- streaming cuts out on all of the channels we use (Netflix, Hulu, HBOGO, etc.) regularly.

One anomaly in all of our connection issues is the bedroom at the "top" of the floor plan -- I work out of there, and can't complain about the connection to my laptop. I guess I should be thankful.

The one thing we don't have control over is that we live in a semi-urban area, so there are other wifi networks all around us. I've played with a lot of settings, most notably channels used, but ultimately found that all of the other channels produce worse connections.

For what it's worth, we have enabled the 5Ghz, 2.4Ghz, and guest networks. We originally had things structured so our smart components would use the 2.4Ghz and our typical devices would use 5Ghz, but we've had to start using the 2.4Ghz more regularly, just because the 5Ghz was so bad.

As you can imagine, this is a frustrating situation, considering our ISP isn't the issue and there is nothing obvious to point to as a potential source of improvement (that I can tell, anyhow). Firmware on our Almond 3s is updated.

I feel like I'm missing something big, but I've spent a lot of time trying to dig into potential issues.

Any ideas? We sincerely appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Offline jagdish

• Securifi Staff
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Poor wifi connection and getting worse
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 08:08:52 pm »
@Evan

Thanks a lot for bringing this to our notice! It sounds like a rare scenario and requires a real time debugging. Our support team will take care of this for you, Please reach us at support@securifi.com.

Offline mparadis

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Poor wifi connection and getting worse
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 08:57:52 am »
Strange, hope you get it worked out with Support.

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 20 queries.