bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: does Almond 3 enforce wireless client seperation  (Read 4422 times)

Offline max_g

• Peanut
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
does Almond 3 enforce wireless client seperation
« on: April 23, 2018, 03:54:36 pm »
in many routers access to this feature is enabled in advanced settings in almond3 its not seemingly available in any of th eplaces i have looked.
  • web gui
  • android mobile app
  • device screen interface

Any way to disable this ? as many of the "niggling faults" i have experienced may well be related to this feature.
they never happened with my previous router (wrt1900ac)
eg
setting up alexa from mobile phone
printing to wifi envy printer from phone
configuring childs wifi dinosaur from kids tablet
casting from android phone to lg tv
remote control of denon hifi from app
linking harmony hub to denon heos
wifi streaming of dvb to projector
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 03:58:08 pm by max_g »

Offline fillibar

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: does Almond 3 enforce wireless client seperation
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 08:24:22 am »
I have not seen one, but I have not hit any weird things when using wifi directly between clients (usually smartphone to TV or devices during setup).

What types of problems are you hitting? Did I miss a previous thread about it (sorry if I did)?
Almond 3 mesh handling the home.

Offline max_g

• Peanut
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 03:46:05 am »
As I mentioned above the standard functions all work, internet access, WiFi signal is strong.
However the examples listed above don't work like they should and continuously give rise to problems.
One example is the Logitech Harmony hub searches for Wi-Fi devices so that it can configure remote control of them . in our house with the almond 3 in a mesh configuration harmony fails to find any heos smart speakers and that I've tested now Daz work and in my parents house with their router it works perfectly.

Does anyone know how to test if this common router feature/option is enabled by default and unchangeable on the almond 3 or if there is some way to turn it off.

There are there are a number of other problems reported around this (wireless client isolation) on the securifi forums and on many of the other Almond devices this is available as a selectable functions in the advanced tab of the Wi-Fi settings.

Offline punkorambo

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 04:20:56 pm »
Though I haven't done everything you've listed, I have set up Alexa from a mobile phone, cast to a TV and printed to a wifi printer (not envy), without problems, using a set of three A3s in a mesh. Have you contaced support? They are pretty good!

Offline max_g

• Peanut
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 04:38:13 pm »
Are you on the same firmware as iam r24, is your mesh set up over gigabit interconnects, do you have the same TV, Android phone.

Understand that you may not have experienced the issues i have experienced but i'm not sure thats relevant.
I can also sometimes send photes to the TV and the DCS wifi cameras have been faultless wether from my wifes iphone x or my Pixel2XL

if you know whether the Almond 3 has implimented Wifi Client, that would be helpfull
Ideally if securifi has not enabled it ( then i can discount it and thats fine )
if its enabled but can be turned off ( then as long i know how thats fine )
but if securifi's policy is to enforce it automatically and it cant be turned off then i'm concerned and we should be informed 

Offline fillibar

• Backer
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 08:23:05 am »
I would contact their support line (or email) with the question specifically. I checked again last night and did not find a way to control it (always possible for me to miss something of course). They should be able to say the default (enabled or not), if there is a way to control it normally, or if there is a console command to do it.

Offline max_g

• Peanut
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2018, 03:44:01 pm »
Thanks filibar, this had already been raised with support and they are looking into it, (had a couple of canned responses and provided the logs and details they wanted) I posted on here to see if anyone knowledgeable knew about this option on almond 3 it's actually selectable on some of the other arm and router variants or to find out if anybody knew of a workaround

Offline fillibar

• Backer
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2018, 10:17:39 am »
Ah. No worries then, sorry it looks like nobody knows. But when they get back to you, post here again so we all know the answer going forward.

Offline max_g

• Peanut
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2018, 04:28:19 pm »
No problem and will post back if or when i hear from support.

More worrying is the wife called today that internet was down and it turns out the router went white screen and unresponsive like some of the others have seen already.

Beleive only the recent R24 firmware has exhibited this issue so please think carefully ahead of upgrading.
hopefully they will release a new version soon

Offline max_g

• Peanut
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2018, 12:54:08 pm »
I heard back from support with the very non-commital  " We don't have any known pattern related to this situation" 

which is very poor as it neither states this is or isnt a problem ( just sort of implies it might be an issue but not enough people are aware of it/ compalining about it yet )
And frustrating as it doesnt provide a clear answer as to wether this feature is or isnt enabled by default

I have therefore replied to their suggestion to escalate and sent the following ( hopefully +ve critical feedback)

Dear Securifi,

I'm raising this email as i have tried to find support from both your forum and the send logs capability within the app.

I bought the Almond 3 multi pack as i was very exited by your product offerings and keen to benefit from a mesh network within my house.
the main reasons was to remove the need for different SSID's, improve roaming between AP's and have our more modern clients handover properly either between VoLTE/VoWIF semlessly and transparently.

unfortunately the experince i'm having doesnt live up to the marketing and sales material.

backgound

House is mid size 4 bedroom over 2 floors and one router ( previously WRT1900ac ) is almost good enough to cover 85%.
Internet is provided by FttC VDSL into the providers router acting purely as a modem in brdge mode.

using either my old router or the providers router i don't have any problems.

when using the Almond the following problems are apparent.

Vodafone sure signal ( femto cell) cant connect to the voda network
Android phones Pixel2 XL, Samsung S8 and tablets ( asus & lenovo) cant connect to heos speakers via Heos App.
cirtain PC's on the wired ethernet cant be contolled over team center by mobile phones unless the mobile phone is next to the main router ( where the PC is directly connected) 

lots of other issues like this ( new echo dots ) cant be setup via this network ( just time out ) but once setup on a different network they do operate ok.

its like the meshed Almond3's are doing something that impacts or limits the flow of data between clients on the wifi in a way a single AP bridged to a wired network would not.

I have heard of similar issues with google wifi's "double NAT" and am stuggling to get any confirmation if that is the problem here.

I have also asked a very simple question as to wether the Almond 3 router impliments "wireless client isolation" by default as this is a selectable feature on a number of your other almond models but there is no visible option in the GUI on the almond 3

So far noone will clarify if this is enabled or not providing generic non-commital answers like " We don't have any known pattern related to this situation"  which is very condesceding and poor customer service as it doesnt either answer the question about wether this feature is or isnt enabled or provide any clarity about securifi's knowledge about ithis potentially being related to the types of issues im experiencing.

please can someone escalate this to our of your CS managers or ideally someone within the engineering teams who can confirm if there are limitations to meshing that will never work transparently with some devices or wether wireless client isolation can be disabled or not  ?

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 18 queries.