Choose style:

Author Topic: 15th of February, 2014 - Kickstarter hacked. Change your password now  (Read 4936 times)

Offline pete

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Breaking News: Kickstarter Hacked.

I just received this notification in my Inbox.

If you have a Kickstarter account or campaign, you need to read and heed the following message:

Kickstarter, for those of you who don't know, is a crowdfunding site for projects of all kinds including movies, books, art, and new products.

As soon as you login to Kickstarter, you're prompted to change your password due to a security breach.

"On Wednesday night, law enforcement officials contacted Kickstarter and alerted us that hackers had sought and gained unauthorized access to some of our customers' data. Upon learning this, we immediately closed the security breach and began strengthening security measures throughout the Kickstarter system."

No credit card data of any kind was accessed by hackers. There is no evidence of unauthorized activity of any kind on your account.

While no credit card data was accessed, some information about our customers was. Accessed information included usernames, email addresses, mailing addresses, phone numbers, and encrypted passwords. Actual passwords were not revealed, however it is possible for a malicious person with enough computing power to guess and crack an encrypted password, particularly a weak or obvious one.

As a precaution, we strongly recommend that you change the password of your Kickstarter account, and other accounts where you use this password.

To change your password, log in to your account at Kickstarter.com and look for the banner at the top of the page to create a new, secure password. We recommend you do the same on other sites where you use this password. For additional help with password security, we recommend tools like 1Password and LastPass.

We’re incredibly sorry that this happened.

We set a very high bar for how we serve our community, and this incident is frustrating and upsetting. We have since improved our security procedures and systems in numerous ways, and we will continue to do so in the weeks and months to come. We are working closely with law enforcement, and we are doing everything in our power to prevent this from happening again.
Kickstarter is a vibrant community like no other, and we can’t thank you enough for being a part of it. Please let us know if you have any questions, comments, or concerns. You can reach us at accountsecurity@kickstarter.com.

Thank you,
Yancey Strickler
Kickstarter CEO
[img width= height= alt=" width="250" height="52" class="bbc_img resized]http://forum.securifi.com/Themes/Firox_multicolor_by_SMFSimple/images/logo.png[/img]
Pete
Lockport, IL  USA

Offline Pestus

• Chestnut
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: 15th of February, 2014 - Kickstarter hacked. Change your password now
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 09:34:23 am »
Buggers...

Some people's children.

Offline Patrick Wilson

• Cashew
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 11:23:12 pm »
Buggers...

Some people's children.

Unfortunately probably not children. Kickstarter controls Huge funding across their projects.  On the other hand,  Children can be pretty destructive too.  I use my skills for good now,  but I got into plenty of trouble as a teenager.  Back them it was Phone Phreaking,  Blue Boxes, Pink boxes,  and 2600 Magazine (which still exists BTW). 

Phone Phreaking just to gain free long distance was pretty boring when it was just voice communications,  but once I discovered BBS systems,  downloads,  and got my first 300baud modem,  it was just fun.  I never got caught,  and I smartened up by the time I went to College,  but I had a very colorful childhood.  Hacking back then was more about "curiousity" and showing off to friends,  but mordern Hackers are typically after information for identify theft,  or financial data in order to steal. 

Please don't take this advice lightly.  Please change you Kickstarter credentials as recommended.
Patrick Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

Offline Pestus

• Chestnut
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 09:02:18 am »
I meant it as more of an expression.  Poorly behaving adults are still "some people's children" :)

I had a similar time with phone systems, dial up systems and the like.  It was a lot of fun back in the naive innocent times.  My father worked for Bell for 30 years, and so we had multiple lines, computers with killer modems, it was a great childhood.

I sometimes pity young people coming up.  They have access to fantastic technology that works very well.  Almost gone are the days where a user of a machine must also be the maintainer of the machine.  If a kid wanted to play video games 20-30 years ago, he had to know how to fix stuff.

I think this is leading to a reversal to that assumption that kids are good with technology.  I see tons of teenage kids of my clients now who wouldn't know what to do with a console screen if their lives depended on it.  All they know, is their iPhone and iPad work fine.  Some of them don't even have an x86 computer of any kind.

I certainly don't condone hacking for malicious purposes, but today it's would certainly be fun to grab a pringles can, get a high end WiFi card, and packet inject till you crack into random SSIDs.  Then using their printer to suggest that WEP is not safe, and to have a nice day!  :)

Offline pete

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 08:55:46 am »
Yup; the whole computer thing, hacking et al has gotten very scary. 

I mean folks do not give it a second thought these days to using their cell phones for "everything" internet.  It was only some two years ago a neighbor came by the house with an IPhone he found.  (thinking it was a parking lot he found it in).  I told him lets find the owner and return it.

That said in just a few minutes looking at his phone; found tax records (scanned/pictures), family pictures, bank access via web sites, so forth and so on.

We called the owner of the phone.  Initially he said to us that he had a replacement phone already and had no need for his "lost" phone. 

Later on after our conversation he realized what it was that we were talking about.

The "sad" part of all of these though is that it's not only the dark side taking advantage but its also the trusting side that is taking advantage of the technology. 

I mean we wrote about "phone freaking" in the 70's and 80's; while today telemarketers (in the US) are using the same technologies in a willy nilly fashion with complete disregard to any "rules" nor any sort of compliance (no CID, random CIDs, Robocalling machines, et al). 
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 08:57:30 am by pete »
[img width= height= alt=" width="250" height="52" class="bbc_img resized]http://forum.securifi.com/Themes/Firox_multicolor_by_SMFSimple/images/logo.png[/img]
Pete
Lockport, IL  USA

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 20 queries.

bottleneck