Choose style:

Author Topic: Can't reconnect in Dota 2 game  (Read 13788 times)

Offline kethnguy

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Can't reconnect in Dota 2 game
« on: February 20, 2014, 02:07:59 am »
Dear all,

On two different computers, after being disconnected from a game called Dota 2 and trying to reconnect to the game, we receive a cannot reconnect error from the game. I've heard of some people having problems with routers blocking ping or something when trying to perform something such as a reconnect in some games. I can browse the internet and use anything else that requires internet access but can't reconnect.

I gave up and re-used my old netgear router and was able to successfully reconnect to the game.

My question is: what setting should I have to check and change in the Almond router to ensure this doesn't happen again? I have everything at default except for things such as wifi password, wifi channel. I looked at firewall and stuff but those are disabled by default. And I dont think it has to do with port forwarding (but I could be wrong). My netgear router has no port forwarding set up.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 02:13:50 am by kethnguy »

Offline kethnguy

Re: Can't reconnect in Dota 2 game
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 08:00:42 pm »
anyone??? if I can't get it resolved guess I'll have to return it...

Offline Patrick Wilson

• Cashew
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 10:54:37 pm »
Dear all,

On two different computers, after being disconnected from a game called Dota 2 and trying to reconnect to the game, we receive a cannot reconnect error from the game. I've heard of some people having problems with routers blocking ping or something when trying to perform something such as a reconnect in some games. I can browse the internet and use anything else that requires internet access but can't reconnect.

I gave up and re-used my old netgear router and was able to successfully reconnect to the game.

My question is: what setting should I have to check and change in the Almond router to ensure this doesn't happen again? I have everything at default except for things such as wifi password, wifi channel. I looked at firewall and stuff but those are disabled by default. And I dont think it has to do with port forwarding (but I could be wrong). My netgear router has no port forwarding set up.

anyone??? if I can't get it resolved guess I'll have to return it...

Sorry,  kethnguy,  I did research this for you last night,  but I neglected to reply to you.  When I used our mutual friend "Google",  I found over 230,000 hits for the search terms "dota 2 disconnected from server". 

I reviewed as many of them I as I could,  but my research suggests it is server issues rather than "Router" issues in many cases.  Have you reviewed Steam Community Forum article::Dota 2 - Network/Connectivity Issues

This article recommends:

Dota 2 server downtime

Periodically, the Dota 2 servers may need to be brought down temporarily for maintenance or updates. You do not need to report downtime during such outages.

Troubleshooting connectivity

If you are getting disconnected from Dota 2 across multiple games or with any regularity, this points to an issue with your connection to the Dota 2 or Steam network.

We suggest that you Troubleshoot your Network's connectivity with Steam, and remove any Programs that may interfere with Steam from your computer.

If other players in your region are experiencing this issue, ensure that you report it to the Dota 2 Development Forums

While I concede that it is possible that this is a Router issue,  I sincerely have my doubts in this case,  as there are so many people affected,  I sincerely doubt this is in fact a router issue at all.  I similarly appreciate that you have already done some basic troubleshooting for this issue,  by swapping Routers,  but by itself this doesn't prove very much.  Simply power-cycling the Almond off-on might have provided similar results. 

Have you researched this issue with either the Steam Support or the Dota 2 Development Forums?  What troubleshooting steps,  or Router settings did they recommend?

There are so many compaints about this issue,  particular in the last 18 montrhs,  thet I have a hard time believing this is a router issue at all. Blocking "Ping" (ICMP packets) should not prevent an outbound connection to an Internet server.  (It might be different if the server was trying to contact you).

If you still feel this is a Router issue,  despite my observations,  please check your Almond Firewall settings:

Ensure that "Ping from WAN Filter" is "Disabled" as you don't want these packets filtered I gather. This feature is disabled by default on the Almond anyway,  so unless you changed this setting yourself,  this issue shouldn't be related to the Almond. 

Please feel free to upload a screenshot of your Firewall settings on your Almond,  if you want us to look at it.  If your research with Steam and Dota 2 suggests this is a Router issue,  then please share their recommendations with us here,  and we'll see what we can do to resolve this with you.  Please check with them first,  as I sincerely think this is a Server issue,  but I'm not a Gamer,  so I could be mistaken.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 10:59:00 pm by Patrick Wilson »
Patrick Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

Offline kethnguy

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 11:29:16 pm »
Thank you for taking the time to reply to Patrick. But during the time I actually did power cycle the almond router and my modem as well but then finally gave up and switched to my old router (within the span of about 10 minutes). I forgot to mention that. and after swapping i was able to reconnect. This is the reason why I believe there is some setting or something within the Almond that's causing this issue. And I checked that the Ping from WAN was disabled. (it was set to disable by default)

Essoh

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 03:54:25 pm »
You can also try this if it is not already done:

You can hard reset almond to its factory default settings (by using the stylus or a pointing device and pushing the small button above the power cord). Then you can reconnect almond as a router again before trying to reconnect to the game Dota 2.

Offline Patrick Wilson

• Cashew
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 12:47:57 am »
You can also try this if it is not already done:

You can hard reset almond to its factory default settings (by using the stylus or a pointing device and pushing the small button above the power cord). Then you can reconnect almond as a router again before trying to reconnect to the game Dota 2.

Good recommendation for a troubleshooting tip.  Thanks for doing so. 
Patrick Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 18 queries.