Choose style:

Author Topic: Wireless Bridge, not extender?  (Read 6799 times)

Offline Dp7

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Wireless Bridge, not extender?
« on: September 01, 2018, 09:02:58 pm »
Hi, I have a WiFi Internet connection that only operates in client isolation mode. This doesn't work for connected devices that need to talk to each other and to the Internet simultaneously.  I wanted to know if an Almond router could be configured to wirelessly connect to my existing WiFi Internet to use that as the WAN while functioning as a wireless router (unique SSID, its own DHCP server, etc), not just acting as a WiFi extender.

Offline mparadis

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Wireless Bridge, not extender?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 09:38:20 am »
I have set up several Almond devices as routers connected to other networks (Double NAT). Generally yes it works BUT your ISP may not always play nice. Any reason you can't change the current service? I believe to set it up as a router it needs an ethernet connection so you would probably need to wire directly to the current router. A work around could be a cheap extender that has an ethernet plug so you can plug the Almond into that extender BUT that is a bunch of jumps so I am not sure if it will work. IF that works then as a router it will allow an independent SSID and DHCP server but all the traffic still technically will be routed to the main service eventually it won't bypass that. Also, I think UPNP won't work and everything will need to be manually setup. If you don't have access to change the settings on the main network, I don't believe there is any work around for opening up remote access to any devices on the network.

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 20 queries.

bottleneck