bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Phone Line/WAN Issue for Newbie?  (Read 10307 times)

Offline Annie

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Phone Line/WAN Issue for Newbie?
« on: August 12, 2016, 10:35:44 am »
Help!

I bought an Almond 2015 yesterday, and tried to set it up.

I cannot get it to recognise the WAN cable/connection which is working just fine with my old Netgear router.  I have bought a new splitter, cable and broadband filter, just to be on the safe side, but it still will not find an internet connection when the WAN cable is plugged in (incidentally, there is no green LED when it plugs in, either).

When I plug in the cable from my ADSL filter to the top/WAN port, my telephone signal immediately loses quality, and if I replace the telephone handset and pick it back up again, I have no dialling tone.  I currently have two hard-wired phones plugged into the other side of the broadband filter (one with one additional handset, another with two additional handsets, all add. handsets running off batteries, and not hardwired into the system).  I do not get any of these symptoms with my old Netgear router, so I don't think it's a REN issue.

It looks like a great bit of kit, but I’m running out of ideas to try here, and am going to have to give a poor review and send it back if I can’t get it working.  Any suggestions?

Offline Ashok

• Securifi Staff
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Phone Line/WAN Issue for Newbie?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2016, 11:19:15 am »
@ Annie,

Almond doesn't come with built-in modem and we can use only RJ45 (Ethernet cable) not the DSL Phone cable (RJ11), for testing the WAN port functionality, try to connect an Ethernet cable from one of the Netgear Router LAN port to the Almond's WAN port and check, if it is working fine.

Offline Annie

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 11:59:28 am »
@Ashok,

Many thanks!  I obviously didn't check out what I was buying and made assumptions - sorry!

However, your reply made perfect sense and I've tried your suggestion of linking it up to the working Netgear with an Ethernet cable.  Still no joy :-(  LAN ports on Netgear are definitely working, as husband is using them for his connection.  It's not seeing a WAN connection, despite a working Ethernet cable connecting the modem and the router.

Any suggestions?  And why on earth would it affect the telephone signal?

Offline ajplante

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2016, 12:05:41 pm »
The Almond does not have a built in modem. In order to connect to a DSL connectio none needs to connect the phoneline to an ADSL modem and then connect that to the wan port via an ethernet cable. It is likely that your current router has a modem built into it, especially if it was provided by your ISP. Like Ashok said, I would connect the old router to your phoneline then connect the almond to the old router. If you want you can usually turn off the wifi on the old router. Please do not rate the almond low because of this, very few routers come with a built in modem. 

Offline Annie

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2016, 12:15:27 pm »
Hi AJPlante,

Thanks for that - unfortunately, still not having any joy with just using the Netgear as a modem and connecting the Almond as a standalone router.  It just won't accept that there is a WAN connection there :-(  I'm using an Ethernet cable to connect a live and tested LAN port on the modem to the WAN port on the Almond.  Am I doing something wrong?

To be honest, it is the router issue with the NetGear that has driven me to want to replace it, the actual modem element is working fine, so if I could just get the two to talk to each other I'd be fine.  Right now, my frustration with the Almond is the fact that I just can't get the WAN port to work.  I am wondering if I just got a dud...

Offline Ashok

• Securifi Staff
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2016, 12:26:48 pm »
@ Annie,

As you have already verified it with the proper Ethernet connection, it could be a possible hardware issue with the unit, please do reach our support team (support@securifi.com), who would be happy to take care of the replacement.

Offline Annie

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2016, 12:34:37 pm »
Thanks Ashok,  Have emailed support and hopefully they'll get back to me tomorrow...

Offline Ashok

• Securifi Staff
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2016, 01:19:51 pm »
@ Annie,

Even though we have a TAT of replying to our customers for 24 hours, our support team will respond with in 12 hours. Hence, rest be assured you would receive the response any time now.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 08:42:54 pm by Ashok »

Offline ajplante

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2016, 10:43:25 pm »
Have you tried re-running the wizard on the almond and make sure you select router not range- extender. Make sure you do this while the WAN cable is connected to the almond and one of the old routers lan ports. It should detect the connection type. If that does not work replace the LAN cable.

Offline alcotross

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2018, 05:21:23 am »
Hey! I suggest to you firstly please go to network settings and then go to LAN settings, then click on the property. Give all the settings WAN where insert your IP Address and Gateway of router. I think your problem would be solve, if you are user of Netgear router then use netgear support service here all the problems would be solved.
I also face this types of problem but after contact from the support service my problem will be solved.  8)

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 21 queries.

bottleneck