Choose style:

Author Topic: Almond Router Dropping Packets  (Read 5909 times)

Offline S54

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Almond Router Dropping Packets
« on: February 23, 2014, 06:50:10 pm »
I recently purchased an Almond router and have it configured in range extender mode.  My goals for the unit are twofold:  a) extend the wireless connection to my upstairs area and b) utilize the unit as a switch between my PC and NAS device.  All other wireless devices in my network have a consistent connection to my access point, although I want a stronger signal upstairs.

The Almond unit cannot keep a consistent connection to my wireless router (Verizon FIOS).  When viewing the status screen, I can see the unit connect and then drop the connection every few seconds.  Distance is not an issue, as I moved the unit downstairs next to my wireless router and am experiencing the same issue.  I have verified there are no updates necessary for the unit.

What can I do to correct this?  Please help!

Offline Patrick Wilson

• Cashew
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Almond Router Dropping Packets
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 12:45:18 am »
I recently purchased an Almond router and have it configured in range extender mode.  My goals for the unit are twofold:  a) extend the wireless connection to my upstairs area and b) utilize the unit as a switch between my PC and NAS device.  All other wireless devices in my network have a consistent connection to my access point, although I want a stronger signal upstairs.

The Almond unit cannot keep a consistent connection to my wireless router (Verizon FIOS).  When viewing the status screen, I can see the unit connect and then drop the connection every few seconds.  Distance is not an issue, as I moved the unit downstairs next to my wireless router and am experiencing the same issue.  I have verified there are no updates necessary for the unit.

What can I do to correct this?  Please help!

How much signal strength does the Almond show for FiOS Router? 

Do you have the same SSID, Password,  Security,  and Encryption settings on both devices?
Patrick Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

Offline S54

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 11:24:57 am »
Hello Patrick,

The unit has appended the _Almond appended to the end of the SSID by default.  I had tried changing the SSID to see if that would make a difference, but the unit exhibited the same symptoms.  The security is WEPAUTO and password is the same.

Just to add, I tried doing a factory reset and am stuck in the same boat.

Offline Patrick Wilson

• Cashew
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 12:57:49 pm »
Hello Patrick,

The unit has appended the _Almond appended to the end of the SSID by default.  I had tried changing the SSID to see if that would make a difference, but the unit exhibited the same symptoms.  The security is WEPAUTO and password is the same.

Just to add, I tried doing a factory reset and am stuck in the same boat.

This information does not help.  Please answer the question I asked.
How many bars of signal strength are you seeing on Almond for your primary FiOS Router?

You should seriously consider changing away from WEP.  WEP can be compromised in less than 10 minutes on any Router.
We do provide WEP for backward compatibility reasons,  but we discourage it's use (unless absolutely necessary) due to the inherent insecurity of it. .

Don't take my word for it,  simply review Wikipedia article: Wired Equivalent Privacy.   
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 02:24:27 am by Patrick Wilson »
Patrick Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

Offline Pestus

• Chestnut
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 03:13:32 pm »
I completely agree with Patrick.  Whatever other issues you have, migrate to WPA2 Personal for WiFi security.  WEP was broken by design, and is a very bad idea indeed!

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 17 queries.

bottleneck