bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Strong burning smell  (Read 5206 times)

Offline td0g

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Strong burning smell
« on: January 29, 2019, 10:41:11 am »
Hi, I bought two Almond+ units about 6 months apart, and they both get pretty warm, but the most recent one I bought smells like burning plastic all the time, it's been on for about a week now and it still smells like an overheated laptop.  I actually had to put it in another room because of the smell.  Has anyone else noticed this?   It seems to be working fine so far.

Offline mikeys63

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Strong burning smell
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 02:32:29 pm »
I have had my almond+ for 3.5 years and I have not noticed any burning smell.  My unit does have a lot of air space around it.

Offline Shazster

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2019, 03:01:41 pm »
1-Is it wall mounted?
I ditched the wall mounting plate that came with the unit and modified the stand mount to be wall mounted. Gives about an inch of space behind the unit for airflow.
2-Do you have external USB drives attached? If so, try unhooking them. I found the unit ran too hot to the point of screen failure and general lock-up with a drive attached.

Offline lucasrangit

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 07:06:50 am »
Does the Almond+ have a built-in temperature sensor (in the SoC or off an I2C bus or even one of the transceivers)? Would be nice to monitor this (even via SSH) to see what the normal operating temperature is and to compare that with what you are seeing.

To be safe and to avoid lockups I've seen with passively cooled routers, I put a low RPM USB fan to actively circulate air across the device.

Offline Xari_88

YearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2019, 03:47:04 am »
Hi, I bought two Almond+ Testogen units about 6 months apart, and they both get pretty warm, but the most recent one I bought smells like burning plastic all the time, it's been on for about a week now and it still smells like an overheated laptop.  I actually had to put it in another room because of the smell.  Has anyone else noticed this?   It seems to be working fine so far.

I'm pretty sure there is a serious problem with your unit man. Don't keep using it if it is giving off a strong burning smell; that's a good rule of thumb for any electronic equipment!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 12:02:19 pm by Xari_88 »

Offline Liniffy

YearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2019, 10:57:04 am »
Highly recommend getting a different unit and letting manufacture know about it.

A burning smell is almost never a good sign.

HeheParty Cams
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 02:48:22 am by Liniffy »

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 17 queries.