bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Terrible lag spikes  (Read 8976 times)

Offline vox

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Terrible lag spikes
« on: March 06, 2014, 06:58:27 am »
Every couple hours i would have a few minutes where my router would just lag out. It could happen at any time, mornings,4 am, nights etc where I am the only one using it.

This is what my ping looks like

and this is what the logs say

LGNilsson

Re: Terrible lag spikes
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 09:00:55 am »
Thanks for the screenshots and info, I'll make sure our software team takes a look at this ASAP.

Offline CamP

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 09:53:18 am »
Heya, I specifically joined the support forums to report this problem. Some background...

ISP: Comcast
Modem (New) Also when the issues began to occur: ARRIS DOCSIS 3.0 / PacketCable 2.0 Touchstone Telephony Gateway. The new modem added the ability to use IPv6.

Iv'e only tested this issue via wifi. I have the same errors in my system log.

Offline Patrick Wilson

• Cashew
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 12:56:44 am »
Every couple hours i would have a few minutes where my router would just lag out. It could happen at any time, mornings,4 am, nights etc where I am the only one using it.

This is what my ping looks like

and this is what the logs say

Cut&paste of the textual data is far more useful that "screenshots".  We can't "quote" parts of a screenshot easily. 

Your numbers do indeed look very high on the ping times.  They should be "fractions of a second" on your local network. The kernel log,  (again textual data would be more useful) does look "strange".  Have you attempted to "reboot" your Almond,  to see if this provides either temporary or permanent resolution to this issue? 

If it helps any,  you can compare your results to mine: 

Code: [Select]
ping almond-ap
PING almond-ap.XXXXXXX.dyndns.org (10.77.13.79) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from almond-ap.XXXXXXX.dyndns.org (10.77.13.79): icmp_req=1 ttl=64 time=0.461 ms
64 bytes from almond-ap.XXXXXXX.dyndns.org (10.77.13.79): icmp_req=2 ttl=64 time=0.472 ms
64 bytes from almond-ap.XXXXXXX.dyndns.org (10.77.13.79): icmp_req=3 ttl=64 time=0.521 ms
64 bytes from almond-ap.XXXXXXX.dyndns.org (10.77.13.79): icmp_req=4 ttl=64 time=0.466 ms
64 bytes from almond-ap.XXXXXXX.dyndns.org (10.77.13.79): icmp_req=5 ttl=64 time=0.505 ms
64 bytes from almond-ap.XXXXXXX.dyndns.org (10.77.13.79): icmp_req=6 ttl=64 time=0.480 ms

--- almond-ap.XXXXXXX.dyndns.org ping statistics ---
6 packets transmitted, 6 received, 0% packet loss, time 5008ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 0.461/0.484/0.521/0.025 ms

What version of the Firmware are you using?  (Check the Status screen on the touch screen)
My output looks a little different  from yours,  as I am using a Linux machine for my "ping test".  My Almond is configured as an "Access Point" so it lives at 19.77.13.79,  (its DHCP IIP address as issued by my main router). 

We should have a new Firmware soon,  so this might get solved upon installing the next Firmware if a simple "reboot of the Almond" doesn't solve this issue,  temporarily or otherwise. Please try this,  and report the results back to this message thread. 

Have you tried swapping out the cables,  to ensure this isn't caused by a bad network cable? 
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 01:10:48 am by Lars »
Patrick Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

LGNilsson

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 11:03:40 pm »
Are you guys using the R196 firmware release?
We have a new firmware coming, but this issue is apparently meant to have been addressed already.

Offline CamP

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 06:13:10 pm »
Yes, I'm on the most recent firmware for Almond. I only ever really have issues when I'm playing a game such as CS:GO, Guild Wars 2, etc... Up until that point I have no issues in regards to a ping test. However, half way through a game of competitive CS:GO I begin to experience massive lag spikes for about 5 minutes.

Is there anyway to output the entire system log rather than the last 100 entries (or whatever it is).

LGNilsson

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 10:28:23 pm »
That's very strange, I've been playing Battlefield 3 and 4 at home using an Almond and never seen those issues.
I'll have the software team look into this and see if we have some kind of compatibility issue with the cable modem you're using, but as this is not an issue we're seeing any reports about to our support team, it seems to be a fairly isolated problem.

Offline pete

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 02:52:14 pm »
Is there anyway to output the entire system log rather than the last 100 entries (or whatever it is).

In Wintel you can just do a ping > ping.txt file if you want.  In Linux a cat > ping.txt file would do the same.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 02:56:15 pm by pete »
[img width= height= alt=" width="250" height="52" class="bbc_img resized]http://forum.securifi.com/Themes/Firox_multicolor_by_SMFSimple/images/logo.png[/img]
Pete
Lockport, IL  USA

Offline CamP

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2014, 10:04:04 pm »
All I can say is I hope the Almond+ doesn't have this issue. As far as I'm concerned this router is completely useless.

LGNilsson

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2014, 11:08:16 pm »
Have you contacted our support team asking for a replacement unit? This is clearly not normal behaviour of the product and if it was, we'd have a lot more complaints about this issue.

As mentioned, I play plenty of games and never had any problems like what you're describing and yes, the Almond was my sole router at home for a very long time. Admittedly I don't play CS:GO, but I play Battlefield 3/4 and plenty of other online games.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 11:09:58 pm by Lars »

Offline CamP

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2014, 08:00:40 pm »
Have you contacted our support team asking for a replacement unit? This is clearly not normal behaviour of the product and if it was, we'd have a lot more complaints about this issue.

As mentioned, I play plenty of games and never had any problems like what you're describing and yes, the Almond was my sole router at home for a very long time. Admittedly I don't play CS:GO, but I play Battlefield 3/4 and plenty of other online games.

I'm now having lag spikes in all media content. Youtube, CSGO, L4d2, DayZ, etc... It's always in the evening but that's also the only time I'm using it.

LGNilsson

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2014, 09:02:43 pm »
It really sounds like a faulty unit and you should contact our support team to have it replaced.

Offline cretur

• Peanut
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2014, 10:55:42 pm »
Give a traceroute and lets see the path you are taking.. Might also want to try diff name servers. You may be seeing a name server on west coast if you are on east coast and vs. versa.. So a lot of these companies have diff ip ranges depening on where you are comming from. so if you are hitting a name server on opposite side of country they may be giving you an ip address on opposite side to reach that site..  If you are on cable try using the ISP name servers..

Offline cretur

• Peanut
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2014, 02:03:52 pm »
I tested my theory using crap DNS servers and my theory is exactly what you are having.. I will bet you that if you change the DNS servers to the Servers provided by your ISP you will have normal traffic. By using DNS servers lets say not in your area and having to traverse the country to use DNS servers on the opposite coast you will find lag spikes across depending how you are routed each time especially on an MPLS network. MPLS tunnel are ever changing to a better route because they are constantly looking for better usage of the bandwidth..

Most network standards now days from huge ISP are ran in an MPLS/IS-IS enviroment..

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 21 queries.