Choose style:

Author Topic: Beta Weather App not working  (Read 18385 times)

LGNilsson

Re: Beta Weather App not working
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2014, 08:45:37 pm »
I just got back from CES in Las Vegas and it was working fine during the time we were there (well, when we actually managed to get connected to the internet), so this is clearly a random problem. We're still working with our data partner on trying to figure this one out.

Offline Meehow21

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2014, 09:42:15 am »
Hey everyone,
I just purchased the Almond and I am really happy with the performance so far. However, the weather app is not working for me as well. As others have said, it just goes to the loading screen for a couple seconds and then back to the main menu. Is there currently a server issue?

LGNilsson

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2014, 10:00:14 am »
As mentioned before, it's an issue with our service provider, for some reason the requested data isn't available at all times.
We're working on a solution for this, but it requires a new firmware. Right now, our software team is busy getting the Almond+ ready for launch and once that's done, we'll be updating the Almond with a new firmware that fixes the weather app issues.

Offline ryanmac

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2014, 11:09:21 am »
I realize it's BETA and needs a firmware update, just wanted to say it's not working in SW Florida with Comcast (regardless of time of day, it looks like it's loading and goes back to Home screen). Will wait for the Update.

LGNilsson

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2014, 05:20:03 am »
Interesting, as that's different from the normal issues.
It suggests that it can't even reach the server, which isn't the same problem.
In most cases, the weather data is simply not provided and you see an error message.
Are you running the latest firmware (R196)?

Offline ryanmac

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2014, 09:05:51 am »
Yes, software is up-to-date (R196). I performed a factory reset, and the weather now appears, although it's nowhere near correct. Showing current temperature as 27F/2C (H52/L28) (refreshed several times).  Actual weather forecast: Currently 68F, H86/L64.

Does the Almond use the ISP's IP addy to lookup weather? If so, it looks like I'm getting a weather forecast for Dallas, TX opposed to SW Florida. This also might explain why my "time" keeps getting pushed back an hour when I "sync with host".

LGNilsson

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2014, 10:31:20 am »
Yes, it's based on the IP address, as it's the only way the service provider we're working with can figure out roughly where you're located.
Had the same issue at CES, we used a T-Mobile MiFi device and the Almond thought it was in Texas too... strange coincidence no?  :P

Offline ryanmac

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2014, 11:01:13 am »
Originally I thought it was reporting weather for my IP address:
Comcast Cable, Dallas TX

Although upon further inspection, it's actually showing for: Potwin, KS. I went to Wunderground.com and sure enough, they think that I am in Potwin, KS as well (I am 1450 miles away).

Yahoo, Google, Weather.com all show my actual location. Oh well, I'll just turn the screen off on my Almond.

Edit: Ran Traceroute & Hop 12 of 17 is Kansas.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 11:40:20 am by ryanmac »

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 18 queries.

bottleneck