Choose style:

Author Topic: Wi-Fi dropping out but hard line connection still good?  (Read 6286 times)

Offline twowheeldreamn

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Wi-Fi dropping out but hard line connection still good?
« on: March 25, 2014, 10:38:40 pm »
I have had an Almond router for about 6 months now with nary a problem.  Then over the last few days we have been having a fairly unique issue I have never come across before on any router.  Several times throughout the day the wi-fi will drop out for the following devices:
Samsung Galaxy S4
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Nokia Luma 929
2x iPad 3's
(yes we are a diverse family)

The issue typically lasts between 5-10 min and will self correct if left alone.  All devices and the router have the latest software.  I have tried some basic  troubleshooting to no avail, power cycling the devices, power cycling the router and modem, redoing the settings in the router, its still happening.  The real kicker is this, I am running a cat 6 cable from the router to a desktop.  That connection never suffers a full interruption.  I have witnessed a dramatic slow down in speed at times but that is indicative of the area we live in (ISP is one that I would characterize as one step above willful idiocy).  Has anyone run into anything similar?

Offline Patrick Wilson

• Cashew
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Wi-Fi dropping out but hard line connection still good?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 11:35:43 pm »
I have had an Almond router for about 6 months now with nary a problem.  Then over the last few days we have been having a fairly unique issue I have never come across before on any router.  Several times throughout the day the wi-fi will drop out for the following devices:
Samsung Galaxy S4
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Nokia Luma 929
2x iPad 3's
(yes we are a diverse family)

The issue typically lasts between 5-10 min and will self correct if left alone.  All devices and the router have the latest software.  I have tried some basic  troubleshooting to no avail, power cycling the devices, power cycling the router and modem, redoing the settings in the router, its still happening.  The real kicker is this, I am running a cat 6 cable from the router to a desktop.  That connection never suffers a full interruption.  I have witnessed a dramatic slow down in speed at times but that is indicative of the area we live in (ISP is one that I would characterize as one step above willful idiocy).  Has anyone run into anything similar?

Please clarify what you mean by "wi-fi will drop out".   Do you see the signal disappear (signal strength wise),  or do the Wireless devices simply freeze up?  My knowledge of iOS devices is non-existent,  but I am very familiar with Android devices.  As your "wired" device does not suffer the same issue if it unlikely to be ISP-related. 

Are your Wi-Fi devices using DHCP,  or static IP assignment?  If DHCP how long a lease are you giving your Wi-Fi devices.  (I believe the Almond defaults to 24hr (86400 second) leases). 

Is your Almond setup as your main Router,  or is it setup as a Range Extender or Access Point instead? 

How strong a Wi-Fi connection are you getting on your Wireless devices?

If your Almond is in fact losing signal,  then this is not normal behaviour,  so I would recommend contacting our Support Team for further assistance,  and/or filing a warranty claim.  You can contact our Support Team at support@securifi.com.   

« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 12:39:44 am by Patrick Wilson »
Patrick Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

Offline twowheeldreamn

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 11:46:11 pm »
Please clarify what you mean by "wi-fi will drop out".   Do you see the signal disappear (signal strength wise),  or do the Wireless devices simply freeze up?  My knowledge of iOS devices is non-existent,  but I am very familiar with Android devices.  As your "wired" device does not suffer the same issue if it unlikely to be ISP-related. 

Are your Wi-Fi devices using DHCP,  or static IP assignment?  If DHCP how long a lease are you giving your Wi-Fi devices.  (I believe the Almond defaults to 24hr (86400 second) leases). 

Is your Almond setup as your main Router,  or is it setup as a Range Extender or Access Point instead? 

How strong a Wi-Fi connection are you getting on your Wireless devices?

If your Almond is in fact losing signal,  then this is not normal behaviour,  so I would recommend contacting our Support Team for further assistance,  and/or filing a warranty claim.  You can contact our Support Team at support@securifi.com.   

Wow fast response in order

1. DHCP, w/default setting however the issues happens multiple times per day per device.

2. Almond is the sole router for the house.

3. Wi-fi signal is typically very strong, only losing a bar once outside the house opposite the router

4. I knew I worded the wifi drop out thing poorly, my apologies.  The network itself will still display and the devices will still be connected to the network, however there is no actual internet coming through if that makes sense?  Once wi-fi is turned off on the devices web pages will display correctly using the cellular network.  Also before it is asked yes the ISP has been contacted and will out here in the next day or two to run down that possibility as well, however the fact that the desktop retains connection while the internet will not work over wifi is confusing
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 12:38:52 am by Patrick Wilson »

Offline Patrick Wilson

• Cashew
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 12:47:46 am »
Wow fast response in order

1. DHCP, w/default setting however the issues happens multiple times per day per device.

2. Almond is the sole router for the house.

3. Wi-fi signal is typically very strong, only losing a bar once outside the house opposite the router

4. I knew I worded the wifi drop out thing poorly, my apologies.  The network itself will still display and the devices will still be connected to the network, however there is no actual internet coming through if that makes sense?  Once wi-fi is turned off on the devices web pages will display correctly using the cellular network.  Also before it is asked yes the ISP has been contacted and will out here in the next day or two to run down that possibility as well, however the fact that the desktop retains connection while the internet will not work over wifi is confusing

Thanks for the clarification to some of the questions I asked.  This does in fact help narrow it down.  As your ISP is visiting you tomorrow,  it is probably worth waiting until they've done there thing before contacting our Support Team. 

What Wireless Securify/Encryption settings are you using for your Wi-Fi?  (I use WPA2/Personal w/ AES Encryption here). 
Are your Wi-Fi devices setup using Static IP assignments,  or are they picking up their IP addresses via DHCP? 
If DHCP.  how long a lease are you providing to them?  24 Hours? 
How often is this "Wi-Fi" issue occurring?    Once every 24 hours,  or more frequently? 
Patrick Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 18 queries.