bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Higher resolution screen shots of local sensor control web UI  (Read 4908 times)

LGNilsson

Just wanted to share some higher resolution images of the local web UI for sensor control, as well as the overall changes we've done, relating to Kickstarter update #29 which was posted today.
Feedback is welcomed.

LGNilsson

Re: Higher resolution screen shots of local sensor control web UI
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 09:53:36 am »
This is the last one on Kickstarter which is a little bit different from the one I posted above.

Offline AARON

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 02:38:57 am »
Lars,
I appreciate you sharing, and hope that the intent was to gather feedback? That UI need work IMO.

1) Control UI should be directly on the device without the need to "open" it. There is a ton of empty space available to do so.
2) ALL important information should be viewable by default (again no need "open" it):  Location, Device Name, Setting/Level.
3) Only require a user to open the item to edit/administer it.
4) Important Information should be LARGE... your current device status/level is too small. It should be the same size, or larger than the device name.
5) Icons should reflect state/setting/dim level AND the type of device. .
6) How about adding some color variation? a monotone UI make it difficult for the eye to focus on items. Not everything needs to look like a 1 yr old colored it.

... these will make the most effective and efficient UI

Vito

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 01:46:21 pm »
This is tough, as there are many different needs between users, but I wanted to add a couple of comments.  I'll need to think about it further, though.

• I would like to be able to scroll through the list without the risk of causing an effect on any of the devices.  Thus, I would like either an area on the right, or the middle, that would not have any actionable links on the rows.  For this reason, I do like having to "open" a device before getting to any complex choices of actions (such as those on a thermostat, or dimmable lights (whose actionable area is the full width of the row).
  • With almost 100 devices in my house, I would rather be able to quickly scroll through the list of devices.  If every device is "open" by default, this list is going to be very long.
  • Colors are important, but they need to server a well thought-out purpose.  I would prefer not to use colors just for the sake of using them.  Maybe colors could indicate the room that the devices are in, or the type of devices, or something else - I'm just not sure what.

Offline AARON

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 03:07:52 pm »
This is tough, as there are many different needs between users, but I wanted to add a couple of comments.  I'll need to think about it further, though.
agreed, it is possible to make it work for everyone, many apps already do. Check out the one I use, AuthomationHD for Vera. The UI is based 95% on user input (user defined icons coming soon too)

I would like to be able to scroll through the list without the risk of causing an effect on any of the devices.  Thus, I would like either an area on the right, or the middle, that would not have any actionable links on the rows.  For this reason, I do like having to "open" a device before getting to any complex choices of actions (such as those on a thermostat, or dimmable lights (whose actionable area is the full width of the row).
Touch UI 101 ;-)... the common way is to scroll using the side of the item without the controls. In this case, left side. To 'open' the device properties, or a quick tap of the icon or A long-press could be used.

With almost 100 devices in my house, I would rather be able to quickly scroll through the list of devices.  If every device is "open" by default, this list is going to be very long.
This brings up another point I was waiting until later to address but YES this is a huge problem with a single list view. They need to add a quick drop-down filter list (location/room, device type, etc), and add a favorites... again, AuthomationHD is the example of this.

Colors are important, but they need to server a well thought-out purpose.  I would prefer not to use colors just for the sake of using them.  Maybe colors could indicate the room that the devices are in, or the type of devices, or something else - I'm just not sure what.
Correct, colors should be used conservatively and using colors like Green/Red/Yellow which have universally accepted meanings Good/Bad/Caution - AND adding some color variation with the text also - like making the Location/Room White why the Device Name is always Black (just as an example)... this allows your brain to quickly locate based on visual cues.

Does it seem like I've done this before? ;-)  yeah, only for the past decade as a technical and design consultant.

Anyway... I'm not trying to slam Securifi, most people & most good coders are clueless about UI design and usually either make everything monotone or go 10x more than they should with colors/textures.

Vito

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 12:35:31 am »
Excellent feedback, Aaron!

My only addition at this point is that I believe the left side of the rows are actually a simple binary switch for those devices where that works (such as on/off for lights and appliances).  I went to verify this, but the connect site is down.

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 19 queries.