bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Alarm Clock?  (Read 6170 times)

Offline chevyman142000

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Alarm Clock?
« on: March 21, 2014, 04:26:26 pm »
I might be a bit out of the loop here, but I did do a quick search on the forums and did not find anything. Will the Almond+ have an alarm clock built into it? I'm thinking about setting this up and using it on my nightstand. If it would, I would get rid of the Sony Dash I'm currently using for one.

Thanks!
Jeff

Offline eldaria

• Kickstarter Developer
Re: Alarm Clock?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 06:24:46 pm »
I don't see why this should not be possible, I can certainly see a scenario where you would set an alarm to slowly turn on the light in the morning, open the window blinds, turn up the heat, and perhaps turn on the coffee machine.
If it is not built in, it will certainly quickly be made by someone. ;-)

If you mean that using the actual Almond+ as an Alarm Clock, I suspect that could also be done, in todays update on Kickstarter when he added a sensor, there was a sound, indicating there is some kind of built in speaker or buzzer.
Although i'm not sure I would want to have my Almond+ next to the bed.

Offline pete

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 08:48:50 pm »
Yup; here used to utilize the Infocast 8's (Chumby) on the nightstands.  They were very nice.

Have updated the nightstand touchscreens such that they are more like clock radio / screen savers.  This are 7" screens.  That said there is local and remote control.

I use them for automation today; IE: shut off or turn on the bedroom lights, stream music, look at the CCTV cams. 

I looked for sound hardware on the Almond + via command line and have not seen any from what I can tell.

Attached are some of the screen savers that I utilize.

[img width= height= alt=" width="250" height="52" class="bbc_img resized]http://forum.securifi.com/Themes/Firox_multicolor_by_SMFSimple/images/logo.png[/img]
Pete
Lockport, IL  USA

Offline eldaria

• Kickstarter Developer
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 09:12:27 pm »
Hmm, something made a noice in the video today. It could have been the sensor, but I find that unlikely.
I suppose that if it is a buzzer, it would be called something like /dev/dsp or /dev/pcsp.

LGNilsson

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 10:13:41 pm »
I might be a bit out of the loop here, but I did do a quick search on the forums and did not find anything. Will the Almond+ have an alarm clock built into it? I'm thinking about setting this up and using it on my nightstand. If it would, I would get rid of the Sony Dash I'm currently using for one.

Thanks!
Jeff

There's only one problem with this, it doesn't have a built in speaker. If you were to hook up a USB audio device/speakers it should technically be possible to do it, but it would require some additional coding.
The Almond has a clock on the LCD UI and this should be moved to the Almond+ as well, but there's currently no support for alarms.

As mentioned, it'll be possible to set up the Almond+ to turn on the lights etc. at a pre-determined time of the day though, or if you're masochistic, you could trigger a siren... We got some for testing in the office and they're LOUD  ;D

LGNilsson

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 10:14:11 pm »
Hmm, something made a noice in the video today. It could have been the sensor, but I find that unlikely.
I suppose that if it is a buzzer, it would be called something like /dev/dsp or /dev/pcsp.

Sorry, that was my phone, I got an email during the video  :-[

Offline eldaria

• Kickstarter Developer
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 03:33:58 am »
Haha, ok well it was very well timed with when you did the association. ;-)

Offline pete

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2014, 08:39:52 am »
Moving forward with the bedside alarm displays I am now at two wired capacitance touchscreen tablets.

I do prefer the 7"-8" tiny tabletop tablet "format"; must be an age thing these days.

Many (most) of my touchscreens today are running via POE connections.  I am also testing wireless.  That said though I also stream live TV these days on the tabletop tablets.  That is working fine today with a wired 100Mbs and or a Gb connection.  I am still playing with wireless and starting to test HD to tabletop wireless using the Securifi wireless 802.11AC stuff. 

I did build a media center "area" in the master bedroom by the LCD TV.  That said I only had a single legacy Cat5e connection behind the bed / nightstands in the master bedroom.  I am moving towards using all managed switches these days in the home environment and recently installed an HP / 3Com Intellijack behind one of the nightstands.  It is working for me and providing two network connections to the tabletop touchscreens just fine.

As old as these are; they work fine.  Personally here in the corporate environment; I never deviated from using Cisco and never saw this product.

I am moving from the regular tabletop touchscreen as pictured to a combo DECT multiline telco box (baby steps).  The touchscreen tablet will also function as a mini telco hub with multiline telco DECT integration (already built in).

The tabletop touchscreen here would talk to the Almond +.  Today I am controlling Z-Wave, Insteon, X10, UPB from pictured tabletop.

I am exploring the use of SIP / CCTV (more of a video intercom thing) cameras and the built in DECT (more of a telco hub thing) stuff on the tabletop and an addition Zigbee energy chip on same said box.  (it does have an optional camera feature on it - not sure though if I want to use this for the nightstand tabletop touchscreens).

« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 09:27:36 am by pete »
[img width= height= alt=" width="250" height="52" class="bbc_img resized]http://forum.securifi.com/Themes/Firox_multicolor_by_SMFSimple/images/logo.png[/img]
Pete
Lockport, IL  USA

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 20 queries.

bottleneck