Choose style:

Author Topic: GE 45612 Z-Wave Wireless Lighting Control In-Wall Dimmer  (Read 14960 times)

Vito

GE 45612 Z-Wave Wireless Lighting Control In-Wall Dimmer
« on: March 29, 2014, 12:03:22 am »
I was able to setup this GE/Jasco dimmer without any issues.  However, it seems to share the same problem as the Leviton dimmers, in that they do not update the status of the lights within the Almond+ after adjusting the switch (on/off or by setting a dim setting).  (I was under the assumption that it was just a problem with the Leviton switches, but it looks like a wider issue.)

http://www.amazon.com/Jasco-Z-Wave-Wireless-Lighting-Control/dp/B0035YRCR2/

LGNilsson

Re: GE 45612 Z-Wave Wireless Lighting Control In-Wall Dimmer
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 12:09:21 am »
Strange, I'll have to check this on Monday as I don't have a dimmer at home.
I have to admit that the device I normally use for demos is the Osram Sylvania Smart iQ bulb with build in ZigBee and it works just fine.
I know we have a few plug-in dimmers in the office, so I'll test with one of those.

Vito

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 04:50:27 am »
The device may actually be a 45606.  I've attached the manual that I have for it.  (I used to have many of these dimmers, but eventually replaced most of them due to issues with LED bulbs.)

LGNilsson

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 12:17:48 am »
Tested a dimmer just now and it clearly works as per the attached screen shot.
This is a plug-in dimmer though, but technically there should be no difference as to how they work.
Can't find the 45606 for sale, so it'll be hard for us to test.

Vito

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 09:22:30 am »
Lars,

When using the switch to turn on/off and dim, does the Almond+ update to reflect the change?

-Vito

LGNilsson

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 09:27:59 am »
I can't dim from the switch, it only has an on/off button...
But yes, the button does cause a change of state on the Almond+/web UI.

Offline lalvarez

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2014, 12:41:59 pm »
I have one of these dimmers (GE 45612) but i can't seem to be able to add it as a sensor.  On the Almond+ I click "Add Sensor" then i click the up rocker on the switch but nothing happens.  Is there anything else I can try? The dimmer works fine otherwise. Is it possible that the z-wave part is not working?  I just got this from amazon but would rather not have to un-install it to send it back if there is anything else I can try.  Is there a way to "reset" it?

LGNilsson

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 01:32:09 am »
To reset it, use the Remove option instead of Add option in the Almond+ LCD UI.
Then add the switch and it should be removed. Then try adding it again.

Offline lalvarez

• Backer
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2014, 09:04:21 am »
I only have the "Remove all sensors" option as I was never able to add the sensor in the first place and that does not do anything either.

Offline lalvarez

• Backer
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2014, 09:09:40 am »
To clarify:

• This is a new dimmer switch that has never been paired before

When i go to add sensor the Almond says to press the switch's "Pairing" button which according the switch manual is the up or down switch on the rocker. When i press that nothing happens and the almond continues waiting and the only option is to cancel

When i go to remove the sensor it asks me to press the "leave" button which i assume is the rocker switch as well but pressing it does not do anything either so cancel again is the only option

When i press remove all sensors it seems to do something but nothing specific to my switch

When i try to add it again i has the same experience as before.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 09:11:17 am by lalvarez »

LGNilsson

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2014, 09:13:25 am »
Huh? Are you saying that there's no remove button on the LCD UI? Having added or not added the switch has nothing to do with it. A Z-Wave device that has been paired once needs to be removed before it can be paired again, so please just follow my instructions above to see if it helps. Also keep in mind that Z-Wave sensors have a pairing distance of about 3 feet, so if you're too far away, it won't work.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 09:15:34 am by Lars »

Offline lalvarez

• Backer
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2014, 11:01:03 am »
  ---Are you saying that there's no remove button on the LCD UI?

No, i never said that and I followed up with all the steps I took including the "Remove sensor" option.  I am right next to the switch so distance is not the issue. Is there I number I can call for help?  Here are my steps again:

This is a new dimmer switch that has never been paired before

When i go to add sensor the Almond says to press the switch's "Pairing" button which according the switch manual is the up or down switch on the rocker. When i press that nothing happens and the almond continues waiting and the only option is to cancel

When i go to remove the sensor it asks me to press the "leave" button which i assume is the rocker switch as well but pressing it does not do anything either so cancel again is the only option

When i press remove all sensors it seems to do something but nothing specific to my switch

When i try to add it again i has the same experience as before.

Offline lalvarez

• Backer
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2014, 11:03:03 am »
Also, does "Remove all sensors" do the same thing as "Remove Sensor"?  Only asking because that's the only operation that seems to be doing anything.  Maybe I have a defective router.  This would be much easier if I could call someone to trouble shoot this.

LGNilsson

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2014, 11:33:00 am »
Remove all sensors does not do the same as remove sensor, it simply purges all sensors from the Almond+, it doesn't reset them.
I highly doubt the router is defective as we've had zero Z-Wave issues.

Z-Wave has some quirks and I've had problems adding certain types of sensors as well.

According to the manual it shouldn't be that hard to join the sensor though, as it simply states "When prompted by your primary controller, tap the top or
bottom of the rocker" which I guess is what you've said already. Normally you have to switch it on rather than off for it to join the network.
One question, does it switch on and off the light it's connected to?

Vito

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2014, 11:40:56 am »
lalvarez,

It sounds like your dimmer switch is faulty.  Did you purchase it used?  Do you have another controller that you could use to test it's operational status?  The "Remove Device" option on the Almond+ should work to clear the device from a Z-Wave network - and you would just need to press on or off on the dimmer switch for this to happen.  The fact that it's not doing anything makes it seem like your switch is faulty.

-Vito

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 20 queries.