Choose style:

Author Topic: Hello from Cleveland, Ohio, USA  (Read 3240 times)

Offline lurambler

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Hello from Cleveland, Ohio, USA
« on: April 09, 2014, 02:16:21 pm »
I had the Almond on my Amazon wish list for quite a while.  Now that the weather is getting better around my parts, and I hope to be utilizing my backyard a bit more, I finally pulled the trigger w/ the intention of using it as range extender.  I've only taken it out of the box and configured w/in the last hour.  Haven't tested it's reach yet.  Super easy setup, although it only found my Roku wifi at first check, had to have it retry to get my main wifi network.  Now to figure out how to get the weather display more accurate. 

- Mike

Offline Patrick Wilson

• Cashew
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Hello from Cleveland, Ohio, USA
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 09:49:42 pm »
I had the Almond on my Amazon wish list for quite a while.  Now that the weather is getting better around my parts, and I hope to be utilizing my backyard a bit more, I finally pulled the trigger w/ the intention of using it as range extender.  I've only taken it out of the box and configured w/in the last hour.  Haven't tested it's reach yet.  Super easy setup, although it only found my Roku wifi at first check, had to have it retry to get my main wifi network.  Now to figure out how to get the weather display more accurate. 

- Mike

Hey Mike.  Welcome to the Securifi Forum.

Patrick Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

LGNilsson

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 09:58:06 pm »
Hi Mike,

The weather app is based on your IP address and some service providers seem to not care too much about IP addresses as we've had this problem before with people getting the weather from a different state in the US among other things. The only way we could solve this issue would be to have some kind of manual input option, but it's not something we're working on at the moment.

As for placement of the Almond, it should be sort of half-way between your main router and the area you want to extend the signal into. Keep in mind that a range extender only offers about half the throughput/speed of whatever it receives from the main router. As such, the data throughput will only be half of what would already be fairly slow throughput from your main router at the point where you placed the Almond if it's too far away from the main router.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 10:10:34 pm by Lars »

Offline pete

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 02:58:03 am »
A welcome from Chicago, Mike.

Nice to have you join us!

[img width= height= alt=" width="250" height="52" class="bbc_img resized]http://forum.securifi.com/Themes/Firox_multicolor_by_SMFSimple/images/logo.png[/img]
Pete
Lockport, IL  USA

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 20 queries.

bottleneck