bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: portrait mounting of Almond+  (Read 4394 times)

Offline VJ

• Chestnut
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
portrait mounting of Almond+
« on: April 24, 2014, 07:33:45 am »
I don't know if it is foreseen nor how difficult it would be too achieve... but just an idea...

I'm waiting for the Almond+, and am in the mean time looking for good places where it can be installed. One option would be to hang it, but to hide the cables they would have to go to the side. If it were possible to hang the Almond+ in portrait orientation, that would be an option. Of course, it requires the user interface to "rotate", so it may not be that straight forward... or it may just be a matter of allowing different CSS styles...

Just a thought... :)

LGNilsson

Re: portrait mounting of Almond+
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 07:58:35 am »
Sorry, not going to happen for now, if ever.

Offline VJ

• Chestnut
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 04:16:40 am »
No problem! I'll have to find a different way of putting it. :)
(perhaps something for a future device?)

LGNilsson

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 06:46:56 am »
The issue is quite complex, as this isn't a phone or a tablet.
First of all we'd have to create a UI that can be rotated in a sensible way which we don't have today.
Secondly due to antenna positioning it's not possible to place a router any which way around, as it'll affect the antenna performance and the Almond+ was designed to stand up the way the LCD UI is orientated, for best possible antenna performance.
Lastly, our cooling solution is constructed so the hot air should come out of the top of the Almond+, so flipping it around would reduce the cooling efficiency.

Hopefully this helps you understand why it wouldn't be all that easy for us to do this.

Offline VJ

• Chestnut
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 07:24:08 am »
Thanks! I know some things that seem easy can be quite complicated.

But actually, this is quite important information: even if somebody would not mind that the user interface is turned, mounting it in portrait mode is still not recommended. Perhaps important to put on the final wiki/faq of the Almond+.

LGNilsson

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 01:21:06 am »
Yeah, we'll include that. The beta/dev units has a different cooling solution, so it's not as important that they're mounted the right way up, but the Wi-Fi performance might take a hit if it's not.

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 17 queries.

bottleneck