Choose style:

Author Topic: Multiple people connected with SMB, one interrupts the other  (Read 2594 times)

Offline Karin

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Multiple people connected with SMB, one interrupts the other
« on: February 13, 2015, 01:55:02 pm »
I'm using firmware version R070.  Seems pretty solid so far!

I thought I'd try moving my new external USB 3.0 HDD to the Almond+ to help reduce noise and clutter around my workspace, by sharing it over SMB.  I've set it up fine, but I'm seeing an issue where when one client is transferring a file and the other client starts to do the same, it'll drop the original transfer.

Both computers are on the latest Mac OS X.  One is hardwired via megabit ethernet, one is via VPN.  Is this a known issue?  Using multiple simultaneous connections to the SMB share should be okay, right?

Thanks in advance :)

LGNilsson

Re: Multiple people connected with SMB, one interrupts the other
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 03:21:51 am »
Not a known issue. I'm afraid it's been some time since I tested with multiple clients, so I'll have to look into this next week and do some testing.

Offline Karin

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Multiple people connected with SMB, one interrupts the other
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 08:16:28 pm »
Since my initial post, I've tried reformatting the HDD from NTFS to ExFAT.  Both times it was a single one-word partition name with GUID Partition Table (versus MBR).  I no longer seem to have issues with multiple simultaneous users, perhaps a router reboot solved that somewhere along the way.

What now seems to be a source of flakiness is that every time I transfer a file from my Mac to the Almond's SMB share, the Finder gives me this error at the end of any one file and stops transferring all subsequent files I had queued up for that same transfer:

Using "cp" through the Terminal allows me to copy files recursively, but it spits out an error after each file copy:

Code: [Select]
cp: /Volumes/Sojourner/[snip]: fchmod failed: Operation not supported
Also, I'm topping out at 11 megabytes per second uploading from my computer's internal HDD through gigabit ethernet to the Almond+.  The drive connected to the Almond+ is a brand new USB 3.0 WD MyBook 3TB.  When I'm pulling data down from the Almond+ along the same path I'm seeing about 31 megabytes per second.  Both are sufficiently fast for my needs, but just wanted to give you some real-world feedback.

The load on the Almond+, reported through OpenWRT, during one upload, and watching two movies on separate machines all at the same time was between 1 and 2.

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 25 queries.

bottleneck