bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: slow LAN speeds  (Read 7702 times)

Offline kurt711

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
slow LAN speeds
« on: July 28, 2014, 01:41:36 am »
I'm note sure if anyone else has seen this but my LAN transfer speed is extremely slow. PC-PC transfer is about 11MB/s with gigabit ethernet on both server and laptop. Wireless to wired transfer speed is even worse, around 2MB/s with gigabit ethernet on wired connections and wireless AC on two different laptops. Both laptops have intel 7260-ac wireless. I get faster transfers on internet connection from these laptops then LAN transfer.
I have same issue as others on 5Ghz dropping connections on ios and android devices and waiting for firmware update for that. I have hard reset the router twice and have changed my internal IP addressing to 192.168.0.x, other than that no other changes. My 5Ghz wireless was already set to suggested setting in one of the forum posts,
I'm hoping it is just me that is having the issue and there is an easy fix.

LGNilsson

Re: slow LAN speeds
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 03:50:09 am »
Wow, that's really surprising. Does the wired computers report that they're connected at Gigabit speed?
So far you're the only one that has reported issues with the wired connections and it's not something that we've seen at any point during our internal testing.
In fact, I've done a lot of USB 3.0 testing and this would've come up if it was an issue.
I'm not even sure what to suggest to try at this point.

Offline Feyd

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 10:36:35 pm »
I've had the same problem (among others.) Already done multiple hardware resets, but my Ethernet-connected PC keeps experiencing slow-downs, connection problems, and other issues that wireless-connected PCs and devices don't.

Offline Kazy

• Backer
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 08:57:14 pm »
How slow should slow be? I'm trying to transfer some video files to a hard drive connected to the Almond+ and it's only going around 20 MB/s

Offline dataguy

• Backer
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 10:06:33 pm »
I'm having the same issue. Looks like my Win8.1 PC with GigE port is not auto negotiating to anything higher than 100Mbps when connected to the A+. The Ethernet interface in Windows shows 100Mbps. When I do a sustained transfer from my NAS, it pegs the connection at 100Mbps. If I try to force the PC NIC to 1Gbps, it will not connect (shows disconnected on both ends). If I plug the PC into my router, it negotiates to 1Gbps.

Is there any way to see the speed/duplex of the A+'s switch ports in the UI or to force the settings?

Offline sorphin

• Backer
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 11:58:45 pm »
Having worked in the networking world for as long as I have, I have a suggestion. Hard set your speed and turn off auto neg (on whatever you can). I've watched that fail more than I can count on both hands, even with commercial cisco routers/switches!

Offline dataguy

• Backer
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 12:10:16 am »
Having worked in the networking world for as long as I have, I have a suggestion. Hard set your speed and turn off auto neg (on whatever you can). I've watched that fail more than I can count on both hands, even with commercial cisco routers/switches!
Agree. just don't know how to do that with the A+ config...

Offline sorphin

• Backer
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 12:11:48 am »
Agree. just don't know how to do that with the A+ config...

There's no way to do it from the GUI, but you can disable autoneg from the commandline via 'ethtool'.  I know you can disable it on the 2 'ethx' devices, but I don't know about the switch part, since I don't know what chip they're using for the switch.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 12:13:54 am by sorphin »

Offline dataguy

• Backer
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 12:41:25 am »
Thanks, sorphin.

I ended up switching to a different A+ switch port and the link negotiated to 1Gbps. As an aside, I was searching through the Windows System log and found the entry: ..."Gigabit Network Connection Smart Speed has downgraded the link speed from the maximum advertised." In doing some research found an Intel engineer who explains, "SmartSpeed is an algorithm that serves at link auto-negotiation where there is none.  It tries to link at the highest speed, and if it can't, will downshift and try again.  The purpose is to work around faulty equipment so you at least have link, instead of no link at all."

Don't know whether the port in question is bad and can't negotiate to 1Gbps or if it's something else. Seems to be just that port (switch port 4).

Transfer from NAS to PC from A+ switch port to switch port is now where it should be (80MB/sec).

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 17 queries.