Choose style:

Author Topic: Replacing an existing Access Point with the Almond+  (Read 4660 times)

Offline reedog117

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Replacing an existing Access Point with the Almond+
« on: August 15, 2014, 12:28:40 am »
I received my Almond+ this week but still haven't taken it out of the packaging.  Now that the new firmware is out, I would like to replace the Linksys E4200v1 running Tomato Shibby with the Almond+.

My current device is running in Access Point mode with one cable plugged into the LAN port going into my Cisco Catalyst 2960G switch connected to all of my other devices.

I am wondering what the best method is for transitioning from my old Access Point to the Almond+.

Here's my game plan (note that my LAN IPs are 172.16.1.x, with 172.16.1.1 being my gateway, and 172.16.1.2 being my current AP's IP)

Connect the Almond+ via the WAN port to my LAN (so it gets its own IP via DHCP)
Connect to the Almond+ via WiFi and update its software over the Internet
Change the IP settings of the Almond+ to 172.16.1.2 and change the mode to AP.
Save settings and let it reboot.
It will probably conflict with my current AP, so I will disconnect the old AP at that point.
Customize the Almond+ WiFi settings to match the settings on my old AP (for SSID, WPA2, etc)

Anybody see any glaring issues with that? Or is there a better way to do this?

LGNilsson

Re: Replacing an existing Access Point with the Almond+
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 01:13:47 am »
Looks fine to me. Just remember that the WAN port is the one to use in AP mode, not the LAN ports as they'll still be active as LAN ports to which you can attach wired devices as you would to a regular hub/switch.

Offline reedog117

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 01:31:33 am »
Looks fine to me. Just remember that the WAN port is the one to use in AP mode, not the LAN ports as they'll still be active as LAN ports to which you can attach wired devices as you would to a regular hub/switch.

Just to clarify -- you're saying that the LAN and WAN ports will become bridged together in AP mode?

LGNilsson

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 01:40:01 am »
Yes, that's exactly it. So the WAN port should be connected to your router and the LAN ports will be bridged and act as a Gigabit switch.

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 20 queries.