Choose style:

Author Topic: Configuring Multiple Static IP Addresses  (Read 13189 times)

Offline renegadescribe

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Configuring Multiple Static IP Addresses
« on: August 26, 2014, 10:39:29 am »
Hello everyone.

So far I've been liking the router, but I have been having a bear of a time to configure multiple static IP addresses on the router.

Since there is no way to do so via the touchscreen or the regular interface, I jumped into OpenWRT to see if there was anything there. Not readily seeing something there I had done some research and found this on the OpenWRT docs: http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/uci/network#multiple.ip.addresses

Now, I had tried to implement the first option by specifying multiple Static IP addresses for the one interface (via editing the network file within /etc/config via SSH) but the Almond didn't like it and was not able to connect to the internet. I had to reset to defaults to get it to work once more.

After doing some more research, I found that with OpenWRT is the ability to specify custom interfaces (which would correlate with what I see on the web interface for Open WRT). The question I have since if I have on static being configured for interface WAN on eth0 will any custom interface (ie foo, foo1, foo2, etc.) be able to acknowledge traffic coming over the WAN interface being sent to the other IP addresses? Or do I need to bridge them as well via the OpenWRT web interface option and put all five addresses on custom interface and make the bridge WAN?

If anyone has gone through this already, I would love to know what you did to get it functioning.

Thanks in advance!

Offline mr23

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Configuring Multiple Static IP Addresses
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 06:08:07 pm »
Are you on R064 or earlier? update to R065.

On my router w/R065 I can web in (using 10.10.10.254), click on Network, scroll down to Static Leases, and enter 1+.

Offline renegadescribe

• Backer
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 06:24:01 pm »
Yes, I have To 65 already installed. However, this is not for internal LAN addresses, but for WAN static IP's. The section you mention is for static DHCP leases on the lan side.

Can anyone from Security chime in on this? Supposedly OpenWRT can handle this so I know it should be able to be done. The how exactly is the question.

Offline Tiger Woods

• Backer
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 10:57:30 pm »
I have personally never seen this sort of setup (what circumstance gives you multiple static IPs on the wan side?) but my approach would be what you said: create multiple interfaces (one for each ip, I guess each also using the eth0 device) and bridge them to the wan interface

Offline renegadescribe

• Backer
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 08:29:19 am »
The circumstance would be if you have multiple static IP addresses from your provider. In this case, I have 5 Static IP's from my ISP (I run servers and other applications that need them). Currently, I use a MikroTik RB450G router and it has no issues with this. Then again, it is configured pretty much like a Cisco router or other enterprise-level pieces of equipment so it can handle it.

I was hoping with OpenWRT at its core the Almond+ would be able to do so, but I am a little concerned that I won't be able to use it until perhaps the ability to do so is added later.

Well, I guess I will try out the above unless someone from Securifi has a better suggestion?

Offline renegadescribe

• Backer
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 10:06:35 pm »
Well it seems the experiment didn't succeed. I was able to create another interface and then bridge it with the WAN interface, but for some reason it is still not responding to the other custom interface. So frustrating.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get this working? If not then I may just have the shelve the router...

Thanks in advance!

Offline matt

• Backer
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 10:14:34 pm »
I'm not sure why you're trying to bridge. Also, I don't know if you are avoiding going to the command line, but adding multiple static IPs is easy with ip:

Code: [Select]
root@AlmondPlus:/etc# ip addr show eth0
2: eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state UP qlen 1000
    inet X.X.X.X/22 brd 255.255.255.255 scope global eth0
root@AlmondPlus:/etc# ip addr add 10.1.1.1/8 dev eth0
root@AlmondPlus:/etc# ip addr show eth0
2: eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state UP qlen 1000
    inet X.X.X.X/22 brd 255.255.255.255 scope global eth0
    inet 10.1.1.1/8 scope global eth0

Depending on if you have multiple subnets and such, you may need to update your routing tables too. Apologies if I completely missed the point of your question.

Edit: tried to make post slightly prettier

Offline renegadescribe

• Backer
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 11:11:33 pm »
Actually, I didn't want to bridge at all. But for some reason docs for OpenWRT was pointing in that direction as a way to support multiple ip addresses on WAN interfaces (or LAN for the matter but I'm more concerned with WAN).

I have no problems with the command line (in fact I was earlier in the thread editing the /etc/config/network file trying to add the ip's that way :-) ) It's interesting the the darn docs didn't really point in the way of using that command.

I'll try it out on my WAN interface. It should be easy to add since they are all the same subnet (just 5 static IP's from the ISP on the WAN interface). The only question would be if this command is persistent. I know some of the ones entered on the command line tend not to be.

Thanks in advance.

Offline matt

• Backer
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2014, 11:24:05 pm »
They indeed probably aren't. I haven't done much OpenWRT work, but a quick google shows that you should be able to create init scripts similar to classic linux:

http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/techref/initscripts

E.g.
Code: [Select]
cat <<EOF >/etc/init.d/user-commands
#!/bin/sh /etc/rc.common
# Sets up static IPs

START=11 # After networking, which is 10
STOP=15

start() {       
        ip addr add 10.1.1.1/8 dev eth0
        # Set routes here too if needed with route add ...
}                 

stop() {
        # lazy, so not doing the possibly proper cleanup...
        :
}
EOF
chmod 755 /etc/init.d/user-commands
/etc/init.d/user-commands enable

I'm sure there are better places to inject this, but I don't know the network stack for OpenWRT, so this is pretty agnostic.

Offline matt

• Backer
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2014, 11:32:07 pm »
Well in an effort to procrastinate real work, I decided to do a quick google for the "right way" to do this in OpenWRT. Turns out it was easy to find:

http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/uci/network#aliasesthe.new.way

If that doesn't work (because our version of OpenWRT is old...) you can try this too:

http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/uci/network#aliasesthe.old.way

Offline renegadescribe

• Backer
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2014, 08:52:40 am »
Oh yes, I'm familiar with those links. The first link in my opening post was the section at the end of that doc talking about multiple IP addresses on a single interface.  :D

The issue is that what they are suggesting does not work. If finally received an answer from Securifi and it seems that it isn't working because of the heavy modifications to OpenWRT they have made. They said that to put the capability to support multiple IP addresses is possible, but that it would take some work and time. They would be adding it but not right this minute.

Kinda a bummer to be honest, but I'll have to just wait until this capability is finally added to put the Almond+ into service as my main router. For the time being I'll use it as an access point/extender to replace the last Wireless N access point I have.

Anyhow, thanks for the help everyone!

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 18 queries.

bottleneck