Choose style:

Author Topic: Absolutely Craptastic Range  (Read 4397 times)

Offline pkscout

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Absolutely Craptastic Range
« on: September 06, 2014, 05:06:02 pm »
Well, I finally had to give up on my Almond+.  I'd gotten use to the poor VPN implementation, but the device has such an anemic range that it's basically completely useless for me.  I have a two floor, 1600 sqft place, and my old Airport Extreme covered the whole house with absolutely no problem.  I put the Almond+ in the exact same location and now one of the upstairs locations is completely uncovered and another has spotty coverage on a good day.  Since our wireless printer is in one of those two rooms and my wife's office is the other, I've boxed the Almond+ up and put the Airport Extreme back in.

Anybody interested in a slightly used Almond+?  It'll work great as long as you don't need much range.  Or the VPN.

Offline jim

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Absolutely Craptastic Range
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 09:23:43 pm »
So there are lots of things for me to complain about with my almond+ range isn't one.  I have a 2000+ sqft house that I used to have repeaters setup for reach all corners of my house.  It didn't help that my router is setup in one corner of my house but I learned to live with it. 

I have been able to remove all my extenders. 

Sounds like you got a bum unit because range isn't something I have seen people complain about.

Offline SteveD

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 10:44:10 pm »
I've got to agree with jim on this, I have no complaints on range with the Almond+. I didn't do any before & after tests, so I don't have specific numbers, but my perception is its range is at least as good as my AirPort Extreme (Dual-Band 802.11n model), if not better. I haven't tried the 802.11ac mode as I don't have any ac devices yet.

You might want to try the Wireless Diagnostics app built in to Mac OS X 10.9 to check the signal strength between your AirPort Extreme and the Almond+. You can access that app by doing the following: Hold down the option key while clicking on the AirPort icon in the menu bar, select Open Wireless Diagnostics..., enter your admin password to allow Wireless Diagnostics to run, DO NOT click the Continue button as you don't actually want to run the diagnostics, select Utilities from the Windows menu when the Wireless Diagnostics app opens, then click the Performance tab. That will give you a realtime graph of your wireless signal and you can compare the two devices. If the Almond+ shows a significant different I'd suggest your contact Securifi for a replacement.

Offline JesseD

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 12:05:01 am »
I have a 2400 sqft home.  My A+ router is on the southwest corner downstairs room.  My Surface Pro 3 is on the 2nd story, northeast corner of the room.  almost fun signal ( 4 bars ) and the Surface Pro 3 uses AC

LGNilsson

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 12:20:21 am »
Well, I finally had to give up on my Almond+.  I'd gotten use to the poor VPN implementation, but the device has such an anemic range that it's basically completely useless for me.  I have a two floor, 1600 sqft place, and my old Airport Extreme covered the whole house with absolutely no problem.  I put the Almond+ in the exact same location and now one of the upstairs locations is completely uncovered and another has spotty coverage on a good day.  Since our wireless printer is in one of those two rooms and my wife's office is the other, I've boxed the Almond+ up and put the Airport Extreme back in.

Anybody interested in a slightly used Almond+?  It'll work great as long as you don't need much range.  Or the VPN.

This is clearly not normal behaviour. Can you please contact [suspicious]support@securifi.com[/suspicious] so we can arrange for a replacement unit?

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 24 queries.