Choose style:

Author Topic: JTAG pinout  (Read 5886 times)

Offline voltagex

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
JTAG pinout
« on: September 07, 2014, 01:19:25 am »
Is it possible to get a copy of the JTAG pinout? I'm attempting to boot a newer u-boot from the board and the easiest way is to load an image directly with OpenOCD.

I'm assuming the two banks of pins on the right hand side of the board which are labelled with SPI pinouts are reused, but I'd rather not guess.

LGNilsson

Re: JTAG pinout
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 02:15:15 am »
Uhm, first of all, please do not play with u-boot, you might brick your Almond+ doing this.
There's no "JTAG" connector on the board, we simply have a serial header http://wiki.securifi.com/index.php?title=Console_port_-_Almond%2B_2014
The other header is for Z-Wave during manufacturing as far as I'm aware and shouldn't be touched.

Offline voltagex

• Backer
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 02:44:58 am »
Sigh, would have made this so much easier. Good to know I guess.

I'm not worried about bricking the Almond+ so much, but if there's no JTAG header I can't reprogram the NAND if something goes wrong... the u-boot on there is too old to support USB, too.

Offline sorphin

• Backer
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 03:58:30 am »
I'm all for software/hardware hacking (I do embedded stuff in my spare time), but changing uboot/the kernel? Not quite sure what you expect to make the A+ do? Make toast?

Offline voltagex

• Backer
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 04:19:27 am »
Sorphin, I don't think I'm attempting anything strange - just make the A+ run an up-to-date, hopefully mainline kernel and the newest (not 2009/2010) OpenWRT

Offline sorphin

• Backer
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 05:48:09 am »
Sorphin, I don't think I'm attempting anything strange - just make the A+ run an up-to-date, hopefully mainline kernel and the newest (not 2009/2010) OpenWRT

Whatever floats your boat. I just (personally) don't see the point of upgrading for upgrading's sake, that's all.

Offline aenertia

• Backer
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 06:04:55 am »
Getting fq_codel support which was mainlined in ~3 release IIRC plus a bunch of other fixes. Also the mainline ath9k has a lot of bug fixes for the 2.4g chipset.

3.10 included a bunch of latency reduction patches in a lot of places.

LGNilsson

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2014, 11:33:02 pm »
Guys, look. I understand that you're all keen on helping out and wanting to update things.
Can we please just make the Almond+ a stable platform first?
We have a couple of more developers joining next month and one of those guys have a lot of experience working on router firmwares and one of his projects will be to update the Kernel.
As for porting a new version of OpenWRT, it's no small task as it would most likely break a lot of the features we've added, such as home automation, the LCD interface and what not, so it'd pretty much make half of the Almond+'s features useless.
It's not that we don't want to upgrade, it's just going to be a lot of work and right now, we need to have a stable platform that 90% of people are happy with before we start doing any of these things.
We're not unwilling, but we're not a big company and we have limited resources to do everything that's being asked for.

Offline voltagex

• Backer
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2014, 11:40:15 pm »
I don't think anyone is attacking the excellent work Securifi has done, Lars.

We're really just looking forward to being able to hack (in the positive sense) on the device.

Could this topic be closed so the discussion doesn't get fragmented?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 11:45:40 pm by voltagex »

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 17 queries.

bottleneck