bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Need Security on WWAN mode  (Read 3632 times)

Offline imolafem

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Need Security on WWAN mode
« on: September 26, 2014, 07:37:13 pm »
Just setup my Almond and received great tech support while doing it.  My condo wifi requires Terms and Conditions to be accepted in the web browser before connecting to their open network.  This is problematic for those devices that don't have web browsers or that ability.

I got the Almond to setup my own private network connected to that wifi.  I worked with the condo wifi network admins to store my MAC address of my Almond.  However, in range extender mode, I was still prompted at a web browser to accept terms and conditions.  I called into support and worked with a very helpful guy who suggested I use the WWAN beta mode on the Almond.  This got me to where I wanted to be without having to accept the terms and conditions.

I could rename the SSID for this network, but I couldn't setup any type of security.  No network password... he said I don't even have the option to restrict by MAC address.  I'm happy to beta this mode for SecureFi for a bit because it does meet my needs, but I would feel better with some security on it in future releases!  Thanks, please keep me posted SecureFi.

Amritendu

Re: Need Security on WWAN mode
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 04:54:04 am »
Noted your feedback, will pass it on to the concerned. However, the basic feature of Range Extender/Access Point is "DHCP disabled, follow the configuration of source Wi-Fi blindly". Which in lucid terms mean, it would only offer you a security if the source Wi-Fi is secured! In your kind of setup this would be difficult since the condo Wi-Fi does not have any security in place, just a web authentication, Almond would follow the same when used as a Range Extender. Nevertheless, its a great feedback and would surely keep you posted, if this feature gets added in future.

Offline sorphin

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 05:08:14 am »
While I understand why places do wide open wifi, but have those hotspot agreement gatekeepers in place.. I truely do hate them. What Amritendu said is correct though, there's a distinct difference between a hotspot gatekeeper and secured wifi.. The condo's wifi is only authentication (probably radius), because if they used WEP/WPA/WPA2, they'd have to have a way of distributing a key to everyone..  Range Extenders are inherently dumb, they're 'repeaters'..  think tv.. there are repeaters around to help make sure the signal gets around to whoever, but as far as anything else.. it's just not there.  I'd be interested to see if it can be pulled off (what was suggested), since it's not 'general practice'.

Amritendu

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2014, 05:22:01 am »

I'd be interested to see if it can be pulled off (what was suggested), since it's not 'general practice'.

@sorphin, can't agree more to you on that! Its surely isn't a general practice, but will see if the developers has a way or requirement to include it.

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 17 queries.

bottleneck