Choose style:

Author Topic: Wifi Power Adjustments  (Read 3047 times)

Offline Randomocity

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Wifi Power Adjustments
« on: November 17, 2014, 05:51:30 am »
All,

One of my favorite features from the original firmware was the ability to dynamically set my wifi power on each radio.  I understand it was removed due to bugs in R065, but I'm wondering with the new wifi drivers coming, is there any intention of adding that back? I currently live in a small town home and the almond is blasting my neighbors' wifi to smithereens, no matter what channel I select.  I don't necessarily want to significantly lower the power output(I love getting signal 3 stories up from the router) but a way to at least try to adjust the power of each radio would be really useful.

Thanks,
Jon

Offline eldaria

• Kickstarter Developer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Wifi Power Adjustments
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 09:12:51 am »
This would be handy.

I have seen tests that actually show that lowering the signal strength in situations where there are a lot of signals, can in some cases give better reception since it does not have to fight with other networks.

I noticed that changing country will change not only the frequencies available, but also the strength. For some reason if I leave it on the default USA, I have 5 bars on my 5GHz network when i'm in a certain spot in my apartment, but if I change the router to Sweden I only get 3 bars. I'm not sure if this is due to signal strength or frequencies, also i did not test further if it effected throughput, having to restart the router every time I change made it to much of an effort to do any in-depth testing. I noticed it one of the times I set up the router from factory default.

LGNilsson

Re: Wifi Power Adjustments
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 10:47:41 pm »
Europe has a lower limit on the transmit power for Wi-Fi, even on 5GHz, please see - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels#5.C2.A0GHz_.28802.11a.2Fh.2Fj.2Fn.2Fac.29.5B17.5D
To be honest, I'm not sure this option ever did anything, but I've checked with the software team.

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 20 queries.

bottleneck