Choose style:

Author Topic: Access Point?  (Read 3831 times)

Offline Slim4

• Peanut
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Access Point?
« on: January 07, 2015, 08:17:38 pm »
Ok, so I got my Almond + and I'm super psyched about my Z-Wave stuff.  I have some questions regarding the networking setup though.

I had my Cisco wireless N router hooked up to my Uverse N router with a gigabit connection.  Something I was able to do with that Cisco router was I could use it as an AP (set it up as the same SSID and password) that would provide network access upstairs while my Uverse router was downstairs.  This meshed nicely and I didn't have to worry about the bottlenecking that could be caused by throughput issues that might happen by just using it as a wireless extender.
I have been working mostly in the LCD screen on the Almond + and you can of course use it as a wireless extender.  But that connects me up to my N network; bottlenecking the AC network.  Can't I wire a switchport up to a switchport on the Uverse router and have it work as an AP instead?  I tried, but wasn't able to reach the IP address of the Almond + when I just went in to the network settings and set the IP of the router statically and didn't plug anything in to the WAN port.  That should have set the internal IP of the router to the address I wanted, but I can't even ping it.

Ideas?  Am I missing something?  I saw in the web interface there is an option called "Access Point" where you set the Almond + as a transparent network bridge.  But would that remove my ability to assign an IP address to the Almond + and would the network provide the correct gateway to the internet?

Thanks
Z-Wave Setup (WIP)
1x Peanut Wall plug
1x BE469NXCAM716 Schlage Deadbolt

Offline Ohiomedic

• Backer
Re: Access Point?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 10:13:59 pm »
I have mine connected to my AirPort Extreme using the access point mode provided by the lcd screen. As for the address mine is set by the DHCP server on the Airport.

LGNilsson

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 12:13:34 am »
Please try today's beta firmware, it has the access point in the LCD UI.

Offline Slim4

• Peanut
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 08:40:47 am »
I will try out the new firmware as soon as I get home from work :)  Thanks for your help guys!
Z-Wave Setup (WIP)
1x Peanut Wall plug
1x BE469NXCAM716 Schlage Deadbolt

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 17 queries.