bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: In Wall Dimmer Switches  (Read 11370 times)

Offline mparadis

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
In Wall Dimmer Switches
« on: January 08, 2015, 06:45:17 pm »
I know support has been added for in wall dimmer switches. However, I was already using GE branded Z wave in wall dimmer switches successfully prior to the most recent releases. The only issue I have had is that they were not reported the locally (at the switch) changes. But I could turn on, off and dim them without issue. If this is news to anyone I can look up the model numbers I don't remember them off the top of my head but believe I still have the packaging.

Offline fillibar

• Backer
Re: In Wall Dimmer Switches
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 07:51:37 pm »
Using the Linear WD500Z-1 in-wall dimmers I still get Unsupported Device in the WUI and Android App. On the LUI there is still generic set value read value fields that work, same as before. So no improvements here for me. Still curious why the LUI would let you read and set values (which work even if it is rough looking) while the WUI and App do not. Oh well. Maybe next time.
Almond 3 mesh handling the home.

LGNilsson

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 01:55:07 am »
That's really odd, I'll have to ask Linear tomorrow why their dimmers work differently, as I'm standing next to them at the show.

As for getting state changes from the dimmer, I don't think that has been fixed yet, we simply added support for more devices and it's a different kind of problem.

Offline chad.siegmann

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 10:15:08 pm »
Using the Linear WD500Z-1 in-wall dimmers I still get Unsupported Device in the WUI and Android App. On the LUI there is still generic set value read value fields that work, same as before. So no improvements here for me. Still curious why the LUI would let you read and set values (which work even if it is rough looking) while the WUI and App do not. Oh well. Maybe next time.

You have to remove the sensor and then add it again for it to work properly anyway.

I removed it and then added it, and I can now confirm that when you make a rule for it to go to a set percentage it does go to that. I am very happy with this addition of the rules. It doesn't however show that value on the android app the LCD UI or the WebUI. To those three interfaces it shows it is off. In short it is not reporting its status but who really cares at this point, IT WORKS (meaning goes on off and dims)!

I am currently using the Key Fob to turn on and off the light. I have one rule that states WHEN Key_Fob lock button is pressed the WD500Z-1 dimmer is set to 30%. I have another rule saying When Key_Fob unlock button is pressed the dimmer goes to off.

LGNilsson

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 01:21:59 am »
Right, yes, that's always going to be the case if you've added an unsupported device and you then upgrade to a firmware in which it's supported, as we can't magically detect what sensor it is, as this is only done at the point in time when it's added to the Almond+.

Also, the Linear guy was super grumpy...  :P

Offline mparadis

• Backer
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2015, 07:49:38 am »
Good to know Lars and thanks Siegmann. Lars, any chance that we will be able to manually assign the device type at some point? This could fix an issue if it is being reported incorrectly, or in a case like this maybe let someone add the device initially even if its unsupported but then set it to a supported device later without pairing and moving the device. Just a thought as I recently wall mounted and snaked my cables for the almond+ before realizing I would be re-snaking the power cord every time I need to add a new device unless I can bring the device to the almond+, oops!

Offline fillibar

• Backer
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2015, 08:28:55 am »
I will get that done today. Thanks.

LGNilsson

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2015, 01:20:42 am »
Good to know Lars and thanks Siegmann. Lars, any chance that we will be able to manually assign the device type at some point? This could fix an issue if it is being reported incorrectly, or in a case like this maybe let someone add the device initially even if its unsupported but then set it to a supported device later without pairing and moving the device. Just a thought as I recently wall mounted and snaked my cables for the almond+ before realizing I would be re-snaking the power cord every time I need to add a new device unless I can bring the device to the almond+, oops!

I wish it was that easy...
You should be able to pair things from a bit of a distance, but this varies on the device in question it seems.
We'll also be offering an accessory kit for the Almond+ which will include a power adapter.

Offline fillibar

• Backer
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2015, 08:09:28 pm »
Got to remove and re-add these tonight. Had to reset the switches after removing them so I could add them back in but no major hassles except for finding the reset instructions, why do companies basically not document that? Oh well.

Offline Hoju

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2015, 10:35:46 pm »
Hello,

I have the same linear dimmer as well and removed using the almond+ but how do I reset the device to re-add?

Thanks!

Offline fillibar

• Backer
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2015, 10:52:40 am »
To be honest I do not have exact instructions. The manual does not say (it seems to imply resetting it from the Z-Wave network).

However I thought I saw a reference online about double tapping the button (did not say up or down).

So in practice:
I removed them from the Almond+
Set Almond+ to add new sensor
Double tapped down on switch
Tapped up once
Took out air gap
Waited 10seconds (about)
Put air gap back in
Waited 10seconds (about)
Double tapped down
Single tap up

Somewhere all that caused it to reset. Between going back and forth in the rooms and upstairs downstairs... I just was not paying attention. Nor did I think to be more methodical about it until I had finished them all.

Sorry. If you do figure it out more accurately, post it.

LGNilsson

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2015, 11:08:46 am »
Z-Wave sensors/devices have to be removed using Add Sensor/Remove from the LCD UI on the Almond+. This resets them back to factory default and enables them to be added again.

Offline cswilly

• Backer
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2015, 11:24:53 am »
Z-Wave sensors/devices have to be removed using Add Sensor/Remove from the LCD UI on the Almond+. This resets them back to factory default and enables them to be added again.

@Lars, what happens if my Z-Wave hub (e.g. my Almond+) goes dies (and needs to be replaced) With my hub dead, I cannot reset the Z-Waves connected to it? Do you know how I can add them to my new Z-Wave hub?

This sounds like a "normal" use-case that Z-Wave must have thought about, no?

Thnanks

Offline fillibar

• Backer
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2015, 02:25:09 pm »
Lars, I hate to disagree... But that did not happen with my dimmers (nor with my Link bulbs previously). Removing them from the Almond+ did not allow them to be re-added. The switches just sat there and acted independent until I (somehow) triggered their reset. After that they were able to be added normally.

Whether that is an Almond+ bug with the Linear WD500Z-1 switches or a bug of the switches themselves I do not know. I am running 69cb.

Offline mparadis

• Backer
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2015, 04:30:13 pm »
@cswilly

Z wave allows any controller to reset any device. IF your controller dies, another z wave controller can remove it from its previous network as a fail safe.

@ fillibar, I have never seen z wave devices need a reset once removed from the network, zigbee (link bulbs are zigbee) does require a reset.

I would suggest simply going through the remove process again a time or too as it is possible it wasn't completed correctly for one reason or another.

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 17 queries.

bottleneck