Choose style:

Author Topic: Can't pair previously paired z-wave switch with new A+  (Read 11551 times)

Offline grouter

• Beta Testers
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Can't pair previously paired z-wave switch with new A+
« on: March 13, 2015, 01:40:23 pm »
I had an Aeon Labs appliance switch paired with my Almond+. I received a replacement Almond+ but never unpaired the switch from the original.

How can I get these two connected?

Thanks

LGNilsson

Re: Can't pair previously paired z-wave switch with new A+
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 04:01:47 pm »
You need to use the remove option in the LCD UI and then initiate the pairing process on the device. This will reset the sensor and then you can add it again.

Offline grouter

• Beta Testers
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 04:11:21 pm »
The problem is that the sensor was never registered on my current A+. It was registered on the one returned to Securifi.

Offline grouter

• Beta Testers
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 04:26:21 pm »
I did remove the sensor using the LCD before I shipped the old one back. I guess it didn't register the change with the sensor?

Offline mparadis

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 04:54:02 pm »
Do what Lars said. In z wave networks you don't need to use the same network to remove the device. It is a fail safe so that if like happened with you, something goes wrong you can still reset your devices.

Offline grouter

• Beta Testers
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 05:22:32 pm »
I see... thanks. I did a "remove all" from the LCD and that unpaired it. Now the switch is blinking as it should when not paired, but I can't get the Almond+ to see it...

Offline grouter

• Beta Testers
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2015, 05:28:48 pm »
Not sure how, but it's now paired...

Thanks

LGNilsson

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2015, 07:10:48 pm »
Please do NOT use the remove all option, it simply purges the sensor data from the Almond+, it does not reset the sensors/devices.
Just use remove and do the same process as you would when you add a device.

Offline mparadis

• Backer
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2015, 08:49:04 pm »
Maybe its time to remove the remove all to a different area in the interface...

LGNilsson

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2015, 11:16:06 pm »
Well, there's a big great warning message asking you if you want to remove all sensors and it explains that you may still have to reset them...
I'm not sure how we could make this any more clear.

Offline fillibar

• Backer
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2015, 10:22:45 am »
I think the bigger question is:
Do we NEED a Remove All option? How many times do people use it or expect to? Will the majority of people have so many items that they cannot remove them individually?

IMO: An add/remove section separate from the devices might be useful. The current model seems app-store driven...  Should it be more like a list of all the "added devices" that someone could manipulate. Use that section for grouping them, removing them, editing them (not usage, but name and location), maybe allow unsupported ones to be "re-detected" in case the software would work now.
Almond 3 mesh handling the home.

LGNilsson

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2015, 11:43:33 am »
The remove all option is more or less there for when you want to purge all the sensors/devices from your Almond+.

It's not possible to re-detect a pair sensor/device unless you remove it and pair it again.

Why would we have an add/remove section somewhere else than where it is? It's possible to do Edit, Remove on individual sensors, but that just removes them from the Almond+, it doesn't reset them.

Offline grouter

• Beta Testers
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2015, 12:08:01 pm »
Some Lars quotes, in no particular order:

>> You need to use the remove option in the LCD UI and then initiate the pairing process on the device. This will reset the sensor and then you can add it again.

Okay, so "removing" a single sensor "resets" it and "removes" it so it can be re-added to the Almond+. I'm with you...

>> Please do NOT use the remove all option, it simply purges the sensor data from the Almond+, it does not reset the sensors/devices.

Okay now, hold on... "Removing all" only removes sensors and their data from the Almond+ but does not "reset" any sensors. This is where disconnect is between these two operations.

>> The remove all option is more or less there for when you want to purge all the sensors/devices from your Almond+.

Understood. But when I want to purge all sensors from the Almond+ I want them reset so I can start over.

>> It's possible to do Edit, Remove on individual sensors, but that just removes them from the Almond+, it doesn't reset them.

Wait, what? Please see quote #1 above.

>> Well, there's a big great warning message asking you if you want to remove all sensors and it explains that you may still have to reset them... I'm not sure how we could make this any more clear.

You could at least make the "remove" functions consistent--either reset the sensors or not, both when removing one or removing all.

See the reason for confusion? Either "removing" a single sensor resets it or not. "Removing all" resets none. These two functions should do the same things, but to either one sensor or all at once.

Thanks

LGNilsson

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2015, 01:53:07 am »
The Edit. Remove option is under Connected Sensors, not under Add Sensor. It'll reset mains powered ZigBee sensors, but no other sensors.
This is down to how some of the logic that's outside of our control works.

Z-Wave sensors always have to be removed using the Remove option under Add sensors, as this is the only way to reset them. You can not pair a Z-Wave sensor that has been paired with another controller/gateway until you've unpaired/removed/reset it using either the Remove option on the Almond+ (this can be done with a sensor that was paired to another controller/gateway though) or a similar option on another controller gateway. Note that you have to start the pairing process on Z-Wave sensors to remove/reset them and this applies to all Z-Wave sensors.

ZigBee sensors can always be manually reset, be it by pressing a button, using a menu option or doing something else provided in the instructions from the sensor manufacturer. As such, it doesn't really matter how you remove ZigBee sensors, as they can always be reset afterwards. Many battery powered sensors can't be removed using either remove option in our UI, as they're sleepy sensors and as such can't be reset this way.

This is all part of the spec for the two standards and neither allows for mass removal/reset of sensors, you can only do one at a time. As such, the remove all option should generally not be used, unless you have a bunch of ZigBee devices that you can reset after purging the data from the Almond+.

Hopefully this makes things a bit more clear.

Offline fillibar

• Backer
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2015, 07:51:01 pm »
Maybe it is that way for the specs and such but there is no reason to separate it for the users. Individual users (even moderately advanced users) will not make the distinction between how ZigBee and Z-Wave should be removed. So a single Remove UI step that is interpreted as needed by the software should do the job. Further, there is no reason I can think of why the Remove All should not work "properly", although I am open to correction. My thinking for the Remove All is that, even if they need to be done one at a time, remove them in sequence one at a time until they are all gone. If a user has a bunch of sensors, give a progress box that shows "Removing X of Y" where X is the integer of the for loop that the developers make to run through removing each sensor individually.

If it takes a minute or two (or many depending on your number of items) to Remove All, so be it. People likely will not do it too often anyways but when you do, you expect it to work. So far I have seen multiple people on the forums (just about everyone that mentions Remove All) expecting it to actually remove (with the reset).
Almond 3 mesh handling the home.

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 18 queries.