bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Smart Bulb Confusion  (Read 9354 times)

Offline Frozen

• Chestnut
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Smart Bulb Confusion
« on: December 06, 2016, 11:33:29 am »
Hello, 

I am a new user of the Almond+ system.  I have updated the software/firmware when I first started the unit.

Question:

Is the Philips Hue A19 compatible before I buy them?  I have read this system only works with the older Hue bulbs?  Is this true? Here is the bulb I am looking at:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Philips-60W-Equivalent-Soft-White-A19-Hue-Connected-Home-LED-Light-Bulb-455295/206633282

I really bought this unit for HA and maybe possibally using the range extender.  Should I have bought a different product like a Samsung Smartthings hub or a Hue hub?

Thanks for the help everyone.

Offline mparadis

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Smart Bulb Confusion
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 04:56:21 pm »
Hue lights work if you also have a Hue hub. If you want a color changing light bulb that works with the Almond system without buying the Hue Hub as well than I recommend Sylvannia Bulbs. I use them and they work very well.

Offline Frozen

• Chestnut
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 07:09:33 pm »
Thank you for the response.

I went out and tried a Cree and a Sylvannia Osram and didn't have any luck what so ever.  I think I almost got carpel tunnel because of how many times I had to reset the bulb last night.  Both said they could not pair. That's the reason for the question above for a different "local store bought" bulb.

Do you have a link to the bulb you suggest because as you can see I tried the Sylvannia?

I went home during lunch and bought a couple of Hue bulbs, yes I know that there are issues with Hue but... I am very happy with the result because they connected with out me having to constantly reset the bulb.  Should I be worried?

On a side note, so, what is the deal with with the Hue?  Is it proprietary?

Thanks...

Offline mparadis

• Backer
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 08:24:06 pm »
Hue is highly proprietary and without official support it can be difficult to implement well. I don't know if anyone else having issues with Sylvania or Cree but you should always try to remove the devices first. How far was the bulb? They should be close (within a foot or so) and then moved to their location afterwards. I have these RGBW bulbs though they are currently out of stock. I also have the garden strips. https://smile.amazon.com/SYLVANIA-LIGHTIFY-Osram-Starter-Gateway/dp/B0197840KQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1481073571&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=lightify&th=1

Offline Frozen

• Chestnut
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2016, 09:03:23 pm »
Thanks for the link and help.

Here is what I tried and couldn't get it to pair:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/SYLVANIA-Lightify-60W-Equivalent-Dimmable-Soft-White-A19-LED-Light-Fixture-Light-Bulb/999910805
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Cree-Connected-60W-Equivalent-Soft-White-A19-Dimmable-LED-Light-Bulb-BA19-08027OMF-12CE26-1C100/206593642

So, the Almond+ would see the bulb and try to pair, then it would go through the first stage of discovery and success (i think) and looks like it was to the second stage to query the device but would fail at the end?

Too funny that you said to move the bulb closer to the Almond because that's exactly what I did.  I actually had the Almond right next to the bulb that I was trying to pair and I still it would only get so far and then fail.

Are there any other tips to get things to pair or is it just luck?  The other thing that kind of stinks is that because it's getting this far I have to reset the bulb every time I try to pair it.  The on/off thing and hope to get it reset the first time but that has not ever happened.

Also, do you think the Sylvannia bulb above should work?  If so, what am I doing wrong?

Again thanks for the help.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 09:07:03 pm by Frozen »

Offline mparadis

• Backer
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2016, 10:25:18 pm »
Yes those are working. I would try resetting the bulb, then click remove and see if it removes an unknown sensor (while the bulb is in pairing mode right after resetting it) then try to add it again. I have used a few Sylvania RGBW ones without issues but I know several who have used the Cree without issue as well. If you just want a dimmable light (non-RGBW) bulb I would recommend the GE bulb for around $13 and working very well.

Offline Frozen

• Chestnut
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2016, 10:41:12 pm »
Thank you.  At least I know these are working so I can at least try them again without loosing my mind.  I was going to click remove but thought since it didn't pair what is it going to remove. I didn't know that it would remove a sensor I thought it had to be paired first.  Now I know. I will try it again.

Offline Ohiomedic

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2016, 01:23:10 pm »
Also just to make sure you do have the latest firmware installed on your Almond? I ask because I know there was a version that had that issue with some lightify devices where it would fail when it tried to gather information.

Offline Frozen

• Chestnut
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2016, 03:05:46 pm »
I thought I did update to the latest firmware?  I went into software to update and it says that it is updated? Do you know what version I should be on?

I went out and got a couple of the Sylvania bulbs that had the issue so I will try again this evening.

Thank you for the help.

Offline mparadis

• Backer
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2016, 04:27:35 pm »
Should be R89xxxxx. Give it a try. Also try rebooting the almond if it still isn't working but make sure you remove any sensors that aren't working. DON"T USE THE REMOVE ALL BUTTON, go to the individual sensor under connected sensors and open it up, click edit and remove. I had an instance where one of my devices paired incorrectly and it was causing issues with other devices. Once removed no more issues.

Offline Frozen

• Chestnut
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2016, 10:35:18 pm »
Here is my version # : AP2-R089-L009-W016-ZW016-ZB005

I went out at lunch and got me a few Sylvania bulbs again.  I removed the Hue's that are actually working and tried the Sylvania again and same thing.  Found the device and goes to query the device and it fails. Well I about had it with this unit.  This should be easier to do than getting carpel-tunnel because I have to reset the bulb because it fails to pair.

I am going to do a total reset and start from scratch because this is frustrating. So, I guess there is no real way to reset to factory? I have searched factory reset on my device and I have no button to hold or push.

I am afraid that I am going to be sending the unit back to Amazon. I bought this unit to do some HA because I am going on a trip and thought a week working with the unit would have been enough but I guess I was wrong.  It would have been nice to get that setup. 

I really thought that this would have been a cool device and was looking forward to getting stuff setup. If anyone has any suggestions other than sending it back after my vacation I am all ears.

Also, thanks for the help everyone I appreciate it.

Offline Frozen

• Chestnut
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2016, 11:45:44 pm »
Well, I called a friend that happens to have GE Links and asked if I could try them.  So, he unpaired them from his system and brought a couple over.  So, as I sit here I am now on my second GE Link that is successful.

There should be a better kept list of working devices with working kinks.  IMO... Anyway, he is going to let me borrow his for a few weeks.

I think my Subject of "Smart Bulb Confusion" was appropriate in my case. 

Here is what I have learned:

1. Hue's work in my system - don't know why and they actually work. - Consensus says that they don't work
2. Neither the Sylvania or the Cree will work? - Consensus says that they should work.
3. GE Links work in my system. - Consensus says that they should work.

As you can see my confusion... I am going to use it for a few weeks. Not sure if I will keep it but if support see's this thread maybe they can suggest something. But at this point I am not going to do anything, it's working with supported and unsupported stuff.  Maybe I will give Cree one last shot...

Offline fillibar

• Backer
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2016, 06:57:58 am »
Support is best contacted by email or phone really.
Any time I have had problems with bulbs resetting the bulb (not the Almond) has helped. But you already tried that. Any chance you got bad bulbs? Can your friend pair them with his system?
Almond 3 mesh handling the home.

Offline Frozen

• Chestnut
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2016, 05:00:19 pm »
Now there a good idea.  I didn't think of doing that. I will and report back.

I just tried the Cree. Couldn't even see the bulb no matter what. I reset it once again and why because it was the logical choice.  I did that many times and nothing.  I can't even get it to register and see it like the Sylvanias I tried that fail as well but at least it will see them and then fail. 

Maybe I have a bad unit.  I will call support because something has to be wrong with it.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

Offline mparadis

• Backer
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2016, 05:32:02 pm »
@frozen,
That is all very strange, sorry we can't help you out more. If your friend is able to add the bulbs I would contact support because there may be an issue with the Almond since nothing else is working unfortunately.

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 17 queries.