bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Z-wave to IR for mini split air conditioner control  (Read 18510 times)

Offline Mishakim

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Z-wave to IR for mini split air conditioner control
« on: February 26, 2014, 11:37:58 am »
Mini Split air conditioners don't talk to conventional Thermostats, instead using proprietary IR remotes to control them. Remotec makes a Z-wave to IR device for precisely that purpose: http://www.zwaveproducts.com/Zwave-Controllers/Zwave-Remotes/Remotec-Z-Wave-ZXT-120-IR-Extender-for-Air-Conditioners.html

Does anyone have experience with this product, or know of other options? I recently lost the remote for my A/C, so I'm hoping to pair this with my Almond+ in time for summer, to avoid buying a replacement remote

Offline cokeman

• Peanut
Re: Z-wave to IR for mini split air conditioner control
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 01:37:05 pm »
Hi

I have one of these units, and it's working fine with my vera3. will wait some firmware versions before trying more units. the beta is still young, and not many of my devices are supported.

But I'm sure that the almon+ will get support for the zxt-120

Hoping for Danfoss Living Connect radiator regulator, as I have 15 of them. but so fare, the almon+ is just faster then my vera.

LGNilsson

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 04:21:12 pm »
What we've already promised is that we'll try to support as many devices as possible and we'll purchase what we need to test when possible. We've already looked at the ZXT-120 and we'll most likely be getting one, as well as the Danfoss radiator regulators, as they appear to be quite commonly used in Europe.

Offline cokeman

• Peanut
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 04:49:48 pm »
What we've already promised is that we'll try to support as many devices as possible and we'll purchase what we need to test when possible. We've already looked at the ZXT-120 and we'll most likely be getting one, as well as the Danfoss radiator regulators, as they appear to be quite commonly used in Europe.

Yes, I know...  8)

Just say when you need me to beta test the devices :-)

Offline Pestus

• Chestnut
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 09:29:12 am »
It may not be nearly as ideal a solution as what you are proposing, but I control IR devices through my Vera using Global Caché devices.  Primarily for Audio/Visual control, but they have a learn function like any proper universal remote.
http://www.globalcache.com/products/itach/models2/

You could pair this with a temperature sensor such as this one;
http://www.smarthome.com/65456/Everspring-ST814-Z-Wave-Temperature-Humidity-Sensor/p.aspx

With this combo, you can essentially rig a thermostat function through software.

Offline Mishakim

• Backer
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 03:58:05 pm »
Primarily for Audio/Visual control, but they have a learn function like any proper universal remote.
That's another option I've looked at. The problem (and it may not be a problem with Global Caché) is that mini splits aren't like A/V devices, the remote sends the entire system state on every button press, so the IR commands are much longer. It's not impossible to clone them, but my understanding is that most A/V universal remotes can't do it. And without the original, I don't have codes to learn, but that's my own problem.

Offline Pestus

• Chestnut
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 08:38:28 am »
The learning tool is windows software, and you can actually see and edit the codes as the learner receives them.  I think you'd be able to do what you're saying, but without the remote to provide a template, I suspect you'd be lost.

Offline Automate

• Backer
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2014, 10:31:24 am »
@Mishakim

This forum topic may be useful for your mini splits  http://www.analysir.com/joomla/IRforum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16

AnalysIR has code they have developed for Arduino, TI Launchpads, Raspberry Pi and USB IR Toy as IR Sources

One of these could be used with a USB or Ethernet connection to an Almond+

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 21 queries.