Choose style:

Author Topic: Recommendation for battery powered wall switch?  (Read 10922 times)

Offline simnick

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Recommendation for battery powered wall switch?
« on: February 25, 2015, 04:44:44 pm »
Background: I live in an older house in the US, with older wiring and lath and plaster walls. As such, redoing wiring is an expensive proposition. I have two lights that are currently pull chain fixtures, that I would like to replace with nicer ones, without pull chains. Rather than run wiring for a switch, I was looking to use my Almond+ and some zigbee hardware.

My current plan was to use a 3 bulb fixture, with 3 cree connected bulbs (already got one to work with my Almond+). But I don't want to use the app/router all the time, so I want a hardware switch to mount on the wall. It needs to be battery powered, and bonus points if it dims, and bonus points if it looks like it is a wired/built-in switch.

Alternate option, but was having a hard time navigating, is a unit that goes in the ceiling to switch the fixture. Then I can buy other types of bulbs. Still need a remote switch though.

Offline fillibar

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Recommendation for battery powered wall switch?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 07:55:30 pm »
Almond 3 mesh handling the home.

Offline simnick

• Backer
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 09:01:07 pm »
Sorry, Zigbee or Z-Wave, anything that works with the Almond+. Yeah, that, but ideally with a few less buttons.

Offline Ohiomedic

• Backer
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 01:48:51 am »
I haven't really seen any with less buttons that are battery powered, but haven't been looking too hard since secondary controllers are not supported yet. I've been looking since most my switches don't have a neutral wire.

LGNilsson

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 05:04:56 am »
These type of devices aren't supported as yet, as they're scene controllers.
Once we've added support for scenes, support for scene controllers will be added.
Z-Wave.me has a two/four button one, but it's made for the European market and I'm not sure it's available elsewhere. It'll be one of the first scene controllers we'll be supporting, as we already have samples of it.
http://z-wave.me/index.php?id=30

Remotec also has an 8 button one coming.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 05:06:34 am by Lars »

Offline fillibar

• Backer
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 08:02:09 am »
Good to know I was on the right path at least. Like Lars said there really are not options in this area (yet). Keeping an eye open though...
Almond 3 mesh handling the home.

Offline dbuttke

• Backer
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 09:18:18 am »
Philips tap switch might do what you want.
It would give you a physical switch. It could interface with the cree connected bulbs using the hue hub which you can find all day long on eBay for ~$50
You can then control the hub from the almond +.

LGNilsson

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 09:36:36 am »
CentraLite has a switch coming later this year http://www.centralite.com/index.php/products/new-products-for-2015 (second product) but I have no idea when or at what cost.
They also have the micro button coming which might do the trick as long as you don't mind using a single button for on/off.

Offline Ohiomedic

• Backer
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2015, 10:27:26 am »
CentraLite has a switch coming later this year http://www.centralite.com/index.php/products/new-products-for-2015 (second product) but I have no idea when or at what cost.
They also have the micro button coming which might do the trick as long as you don't mind using a single button for on/off.
thanks for posting that. It will go great in a couple places I have the GE link bulbs hooked to a regular switch.

Offline mparadis

• Backer
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2015, 11:59:09 am »
I'm looking for forward to those centralite pieces, hoping they aren't crazy expensive.

Offline mparadis

• Backer
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2015, 08:06:12 pm »
That is a scene controller I believe. Not yet supported and I can't say for sure that is a z-wave device the description is a little confusing. That said, it would still need to wait until secondary controllers work and then wait and see if that particular one is supported as many devices are slightly different even when the same type of device.

Offline simnick

• Backer
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2015, 08:22:21 pm »
Per the spec sheet / manual, it is Z-Wave Compliant Certified. Well, I ordered one earlier, and I will see if it comes across as a switch or a secondary controller (not sure what the real difference is). Someone already had luck with one of their wired models (http://forum.securifi.com/index.php/topic,2734.msg11882.html#msg11882), so I took that to be a good sign.

Just announced, but not yet sold anywhere, is a simpler model: http://www.cooperindustries.com/content/public/en/wiring_devices/products/lighting_controls/aspire_rf_wireless/anyplace.html
That looks like it might be useful for folks.

LGNilsson

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2015, 09:52:53 pm »
I doubt those will work as they're most likely secondary controllers. We'll be adding support for that down the line as I've said, but we need to finish the rules, then the scenes before they'll be supported.
In the meantime, what might be possible to do with some of these is connect them directly to another switch, but that stuff is a bit messy and  a Z-Wave device can't talk to two controllers like this.

Offline simnick

• Backer
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2015, 05:18:06 pm »
I just received it, and yeah, it shows up as "Unsupported device". I am not in a hurry, so I am willing to wait if you think it will get supported later.
Are some switches not secondary controller, and those work, but others (like this one) are? What is the difference?

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 16 queries.